[comp.os.minix] ps failed & lpr = PANIC

Michael.Joswig@germany.sun.com (Michael Joswig (Vertriebsunterstuetzung Hamburg)) (01/18/91)

Good Night to you!
1) A few days ago I cried for help because the "ps" command failed on my
Atari ST (Minix 1.5.10, Patchlevel 3). I haven't described the failure
exactly, so I got some interesting, but unhelping ideas from you.

The error is: " Can't read kernel namelist "
In the first lines of ps.c one can read "use asld -s ... >symbol.out and
then make "ast -X ..." nice, nice. I do not have an PC, so I can't use
asld. When I try "ld -s ...", I get a file symbol.out of the short length
of 0 (NULL) Bytes. That can't be a symboltable, or could it? (BTW, I tested
this on fs.mix)
Any hints, tips, etc.?

2) After applying all "official" 3 Patches, I am unable to print. Everytime
I use "lpr", I get a PANIC--Push RESET Button.
This drives me mad!!
Anybody who got around this?

Ciao,
     Michael.

fortinp@bwdls56.bnr.ca (Pierre Fortin) (01/20/91)

In article <41987@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, Michael.Joswig@germany.sun.com (Michael Joswig (Vertriebsunterstuetzung Hamburg)) writes:
> 1) A few days ago I cried for help because the "ps" command failed on my
> Atari ST (Minix 1.5.10, Patchlevel 3). I haven't described the failure
> exactly, so I got some interesting, but unhelping ideas from you.

Page 105 of the manual states:  "It is advised to generate a new file
'/etc/psdatabase'..."  Use the command "ps -U", then copy /etc/psdatabase to
your root disk.

> Ciao,
>      Michael.

Good luck,
Pierre

Pierre Fortin       Bell-Northern Research     I know, my postings are
Internet Systems    P.O.Box 3511, Stn C        terse and humourless. So?
(613)763-2598       Ottawa, Ontario            RIP: aptly named protocol
fortinp@bnr.ca      Canada    K1Y 4H7          AppleTalk: Adam&Eve's design

valke@psy.vu.nl (Peter Valkenburg) (01/20/91)

In article <1991Jan19.214422.13570@bwdls61.bnr.ca> fortinp@bwdls56.bnr.ca (Pierre Fortin) writes:
>In article <41987@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, Michael.Joswig@germany.sun.com (Michael Joswig (Vertriebsunterstuetzung Hamburg)) writes:
>> 1) A few days ago I cried for help because the "ps" command failed on my
>> Atari ST (Minix 1.5.10, Patchlevel 3). I haven't described the failure
>> exactly, so I got some interesting, but unhelping ideas from you.
>
>Page 105 of the manual states:  "It is advised to generate a new file
>'/etc/psdatabase'..."  Use the command "ps -U", then copy /etc/psdatabase to
>your root disk.

Since the error message apparently was "Can't read kernel namelist", this will
not help.  Also, the database is only a convenience facility, not mandatory.

It seems that either your kernel binary is not in place (by default this is
/usr/src/kernel/kernel.mix), or that it doesn't contain a namelist.  Maybe some
ST expert needs to comment here on how to get a symbol table.

	Peter Valkenburg (valke@psy.vu.nl).

AJB%DLVH.DARESBURY.AC.UK@pucc.princeton.edu (01/21/91)

It sounded a bit to me like the GCC compiler was being used. If thats
the case then Wolfgang's GSYMS program will need to be used on fs mm &
kernel.mix before ps can read the symbol table. Also with GCC I had
to double the size of WINI_STACK to stop the lpr PANIC otherwise the
lpr stack gets corrupted.

Alan Bleasby
SEQNET manager
SERC Daresbury Laboratory
Warrington WA4 4AD  UK
Email: AJB@DLVH.DARESBURY.AC.UK

fortinp@bwdls56.bnr.ca (Pierre Fortin) (01/23/91)

In article <8798@star.cs.vu.nl>, valke@psy.vu.nl (Peter Valkenburg) writes:
> In article <1991Jan19.214422.13570@bwdls61.bnr.ca> fortinp@bwdls56.bnr.ca (Pierre Fortin) writes:
> >In article <41987@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, Michael.Joswig@germany.sun.com (Michael Joswig (Vertriebsunterstuetzung Hamburg)) writes:
> >> 1) A few days ago I cried for help because the "ps" command failed on my
> >> Atari ST (Minix 1.5.10, Patchlevel 3). I haven't described the failure
> >> exactly, so I got some interesting, but unhelping ideas from you.
> >
> >Page 105 of the manual states:  "It is advised to generate a new file
> >'/etc/psdatabase'..."  Use the command "ps -U", then copy /etc/psdatabase to
> >your root disk.
> >

> Since the error message apparently was "Can't read kernel namelist", this will
> not help.  Also, the database is only a convenience facility, not mandatory.
>
> It seems that either your kernel binary is not in place (by default this is
> /usr/src/kernel/kernel.mix), or that it doesn't contain a namelist.  Maybe some
> ST expert needs to comment here on how to get a symbol table.
>
> 	Peter Valkenburg (valke@psy.vu.nl).

I have the ST version from PH.  I applied the three patch files and fired up
the four Makefiles to get a new system.  Then, I did the "ps -U" and copied it
to my root disk.  Not having actually had any problems with this procedure, I
just assumed that the originator didn't have access the the manual (updated
from the net?).  This was the only thing which seemed easy to miss, from the
official PH docs, so...

At any rate, I don't have the problem which Micheal has.

Peter, thanks for the clarification.  BTW, the only "problem" I had with the
patches was that after creating the boot diskette, I placed the MINIX.IMG file on
my TOS C: partition; but when invoking it from NeoDesk, I was getting the old
IMG.  Quickly traced this down to the fact that NeoDesk was getting MINIX.IMG
from my TOS D: partition (Ooooooopps!  <sheepish grin...>)

Cheers,

ralf@ptavv.ka.sub.org (Ralf Wenk) (01/23/91)

From article <41987@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, by Michael.Joswig@germany.sun.com (Michael Joswig (Vertriebsunterstuetzung Hamburg)):
> 2) After applying all "official" 3 Patches, I am unable to print. Everytime
> I use "lpr", I get a PANIC--Push RESET Button.

This bug was introuduced by the official Patch 2, namely by the stwini-
changes. The buffer in which the partitioning information is read in
(struct hi) was global before and local on the stack now. But the default
stack size is equal sizeof( struct hi). That's why increasing the stack
size of the winchester task will be a fix, too. My fix was very simple,
I just add a simple static before struct hi hi in do_open(). I send this
fix to Frans Meulenbroeks and he has included it into his patch 3. So
I think there should be no problem with the printer device after applying
the 3rd patch. My system is actually running MINIX ST 1.5.10.2 compiled
witch ack.

Regards, Ralf Wenk
Ralf Wenk -- ralf@ptavv.ka.sub.org

ralf@ptavv.ka.sub.org (Ralf Wenk) (01/23/91)

From article <8798@star.cs.vu.nl>, by valke@psy.vu.nl (Peter Valkenburg):
> It seems that either your kernel binary is not in place (by default this is
> /usr/src/kernel/kernel.mix), or that it doesn't contain a namelist.  Maybe some
> ST expert needs to comment here on how to get a symbol table.

A symbol table is always included in the *.mix files if you use the
standard makefiles. If ps can't find the kernel or has not enough
memory you will get a error message.