[comp.os.minix] FTP Binary in Bitnet not correct?

owens%unix1.j6.eucom.mil@vm1.nodak.edu (Kerry F. Owens) (01/17/91)

A posting from Carsten Beuthel writes:

> I received  a file ( bcc.tar.Z from plains.nodak.edu ) in binary
> format. I pushed it to Dos from the IBM mainframe and then the
> problem  occured. Uncompressing to bcc ( not bcc.tar ) worked
> but untar it with tar xvf said Header checksum error and stopped.

> Had anybody the same problem and a solution for it?
> Carsten Beuthel ( SOCB@DCZTU1.Bitnet )

I have the same problem but with a different twist, and have not found
a solution.

I do the following:

Get the file on my home UNIX and create smaller tar'd sections to move
to DOS and then to MINIX.

Depending on where in the directory structure I make the new tar file
some times it will untar on MINIX other times it will NOT.

I have taken the route of KERMITing the files to DOS and then copying
them to a diskette to transfer to MINIX.  I then use the dosread command to
copy the files in to MINIX.

Yes I have moved ALL of the files for the 1.2 -1.3 upgrade this way.
To make it simpler I use the following script to build a file called "it".

for i in *
do
echo "dosread 0 $i >$i"
done

the file "it" is also KERMITed to DOS and copied to diskette.

On the MINIX side I use the following command to copy ALL the files to
minix.

dosread 0 it|sh

I will continue to use this untill I can finish the project of upgrading to
MINIX 1.3.
Kerry F Owens
American:	Box 453, APO NY 09128
German:		Brand Str 13, 7032 Sindelfingen 7 FRG
Internet:	owens@unix1.j6.eucom.mil

ghelmer@dsuvax.uucp (Guy Helmer) (01/18/91)

In <41963@nigel.ee.udel.edu> owens%unix1.j6.eucom.mil@vm1.nodak.edu (Kerry F. Owens) writes:

>A posting from Carsten Beuthel writes:

>> I received  a file ( bcc.tar.Z from plains.nodak.edu ) in binary
>> format. I pushed it to Dos from the IBM mainframe and then the
>> problem  occured. Uncompressing to bcc ( not bcc.tar ) worked
>> but untar it with tar xvf said Header checksum error and stopped.

>> Had anybody the same problem and a solution for it?
>> Carsten Beuthel ( SOCB@DCZTU1.Bitnet )

You need to transfer the file from your IBM mainframe to the PC using
a straight binary transfer, or the file transfer program will usually
think it should translate EBCDIC to ASCII, which will render your binary
file worthless.  It seems like that is what may have happened.
--
More information that you couldn't have existed another day without, from:
Guy Helmer                       helmer@sdnet.bitnet, uunet!dsuvax!ghelmer

klamer@mi.eltn.utwente.nl (Klamer Schutte -- Universiteit Twente) (01/23/91)

wayne@ledgepc.uucp (Wayne Brown) writes:

 >> stuff deleted <<

>I think you may have run into a peculiartity of Minix tar.  Try this:

Description of minix-tar failing to extract files when the parent directories
do not exist.

>The result will be   tar: Header checksum error.
I admit, this is not the nicest error i can think of.

The behaviour as minix tar has is as i interpreted POSIX 1003.1.
When the minix community (that's you!) wants the unix behaviour
(i.e. making parent directories of files to be extracted when not existing)
i will fix this.

Please mail votes to klamer@mi.eltn.utwente.nl

Klamer
--
Klamer Schutte
Faculty of electrical engineering -- University of Twente, The Netherlands

waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org (Fred 'The Rebel' van Kempen) (01/25/91)

In article <103@ledgepc.uucp>, wayne@ledgepc.uucp (Wayne Brown) wrote:

> I think you may have run into a peculiartity of Minix tar.  Try this:

(some tests deleted)

> The result will be   tar: Header checksum error.
>
> However, if you mkdir junk, then try to untar, the files will be restored
> to the junk directory.  UNIX tar would have created the junk directory for
> you, just as in step #2 above.  In fact, if you create a tar file under UNIX
> using either method #2 or #3, it will not untar on Minix unless the proper
> directories already exist.  The solution is to either tar the files on the
> UNIX system using method #1, or else to create any directories needed before
> attempting to untar under Minix.
Or use the "pdtar" program written by John Gilmore.  I have used it ever
since MINIX 1.2, and it works great.  Devices, links (also symbolic links)
, sUID, sGID, compressed archives, remote archives, you name it.  There
has not been even one TAR file that it was unable to unpack, and, believe
me, I get a LOT of strange TAR files over here..... :-)

Fred.