[comp.os.minix] PH 1.5 problems

lucio@proxima.UUCP (Lucio de Re) (01/24/91)

In article <7105@crash.cts.com> cwr@pnet01.cts.com (Will Rose) writes:
>king@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Mike King) writes:
>>Other problems I have found with the stock Prentice Hall 1.5,
>>which is equivalent to 1.5.10, release are:
>
>>1.  The alarm clock goes off when using VI, forcing you to
>>    logoff and then log back in and virecover the file.
>
>The only placed with the string "Alarm" anywhere in the 1.5.10 system
>is the shell; presumably it's catching a SIGALRM, or thinks it is.
>Does it have enough stack?

Does it matter? Considering that Elvis fails at that point, presumably
a SIGALRM does originate somewhere, and although the shell catches it,
Elvis defaults to standard behaviour (terminate, without even resetting
cooked mode). So my diagnosis is that a SIGALRM does originate (valid
or invalid) somewhere, the question is: Where?

--
Lucio de Re.

internet: lucio%proxima@ddsw1.mcs.com
uucp:   ...!uunet!ddsw1!proxima!lucio

wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) (01/25/91)

Will you people stop worrying about where ELVIS gets the SIGALARM from?
There is a newer version called 1.4 that fixes this and many other bugs!
I've already offered to send the source to this new elvis for anyone that
doesn't have ftp access.  (But please only request them from me ONLY if
you really can't get them via ftp.)  It's on plains.nodak.edu in
pub/Minix/all.contrib/elvis.1.4.tar.Z (or some similar name).

--
"Dad, what should I be when I grow up?"
"Honest." -- Robert M. Pirsig, _Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence_.

Wayne Hayes	INTERNET: wayne@csri.utoronto.ca	CompuServe: 72401,3525