[comp.os.minix] Minix-386 and 1.44M boot disk don't mix

cwr@pnet01.cts.com (Will Rose) (01/28/91)

"If heaven too had passions  | Will Rose
     even heaven would       | UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!cw
     grow old."  -  Li Ho.   | ARPA: crash!pnet01!cwr@nosc.mil
                             | INET: cwr@pnet01.cts.com

UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!cwr

rdc30med@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (LCDR Michael E. Dobson) (01/28/91)

In article <1991Jan27.222238.5886@agate.berkeley.edu> dc@caveat.berkeley.edu (Dave Cottingham) writes:
>I posted here recently asking (begging, really) for help getting
>Minix-386 to boot.  I'd like to thank all the folks that responded
>with helpful advice, and the winning entry goes to Eric J. Lu who
>suggested that there might be a problem with Minix-386 reading a 1.44M
>floppy.  So I copied my boot disk onto a 1.2M floppy, swapped the
>cables in my box to make that the A: drive, and voila, it came right
>up.  Still haven't figured out how to get it to read a 1.44M floppy,
>but the major problem is solved.

Did you use the "makedev" script that Burce(?) posted last fall?  It sets
up the correct maj,min numbers for the 1.44 drive and links them to the
device name in /etc/dev.  I use Min-386 with a 1.44 A: drive all the time,
both as the boot drive and the root fs, I use a 1.2 Meg floppy for /usr, can't
convince my wife to let me steal 20Meg from the hd for minix :-(

I had to use a two step process to do it, using another machine to first
create a 720K bootable floppy and get the correct entries in /etc/dev, then
creating a 1.44 system using shoelace to boot it up.
--
Mike Dobson, Sys Admin for      | Internet: rdc30med@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil
nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil      | UUCP:   ...uunet!mimsy!nmrdc1!rdc30med

ghelmer@dsuvax.uucp (Guy Helmer) (01/28/91)

In <1991Jan27.222238.5886@agate.berkeley.edu> dc@caveat.berkeley.edu (Dave Cottingham) writes:

>I posted here recently asking (begging, really) for help getting
>Minix-386 to boot.  I'd like to thank all the folks that responded
>with helpful advice, and the winning entry goes to Eric J. Lu who
>suggested that there might be a problem with Minix-386 reading a 1.44M
>floppy.  So I copied my boot disk onto a 1.2M floppy, swapped the
>cables in my box to make that the A: drive, and voila, it came right
>up.  Still haven't figured out how to get it to read a 1.44M floppy,
>but the major problem is solved.

You need a bootblok that knows how to read 1.44M disks.  I posted
a new bootblok.s about two weeks ago that knows how to do this.

Please write if you need it.

--
Guy Helmer                          helmer@sdnet.bitnet, uunet!dsuvax!ghelmer
Dakota State University Computing Services ------------------- (605) 256-5315