[comp.os.minix] Minimal PC Minix hardware

cwr@pnet01.cts.com (Will Rose) (01/17/91)

frost@chado.fidonet.org (Thomas Frost) writes:
>        Recently my trusty backup computer, a PC/XT clone, lost its 20
>meg hard disk.  It still has the secondary 10 meg drive (when I get
>around to making it DOS bootable), and everything else seems in
>working order.
>        My question:  is it worth the time and effort to put Minix
>onto this beast?  It's got 640 K RAM, generic CGA graphics, and (as I
>mentioned) the 10 meg drive.  I have no plans to replace the 20 meg at
>present, so anything I do will have to fit on the 10 meg or on 360 K
>floppies.

I've run Minix on a 10MHz XT clone with 640K of memory and a 40mS hard
disk for a couple of years now; it's quite effective (at least, version
1.5 is).  You will need 20MB of disk space, tho', to do anything useful
(15MB is the bare minimum) and you will need a 1.2MB or (better) 1.44MB
drive for backup.  While you can *run* Minix on a PC with just one floppy
(and I have), there's not a lot you can do with it once you've booted it up.

On my XT, rebuilding the whole system (library and kernel and commands)
takes 8-10 hours; this isn't a handicap, since I just run a script file
overnight.  But if you were doing a lot of kernel rebuilding, without
some short-cut like shoelace, you might find it slow.  For general work
it's acceptably fast.

Below is the source tree of my HD - since it's in a 19MB partition, which
has ~500K of free space, I assume the minix binaries and libraries and so
on take up around 6MB.

Blocks  Directory
(1KB)   Name
13835   /usr/src
3596    /usr/src/commands - official commands
26      /usr/src/fs
35      /usr/src/include
1515    /usr/src/lib - official stuff plus maths libraries minus dictionary
2942    /usr/src/minix  - official kernel plus shoelace
115     /usr/src/patches
0       /usr/src/tmp
657     /usr/src/upd15
4827    /usr/src/utils - things I find interesting

Actually getting Minix running shouldn't be a problem (he lied fluently);
if Minix will talk to your HD controller then there is no problem, if it
will not then the fix could take minutes or days.  It's a lot easier if you
have another machine running Minix on which to reompile the kernel - I would
hate to try rebuilding 1.5 on floppies. But it could be done.

The 'killer application' that makes Minix useable is Steve Kirkendell's vi,
which is rock solid, full-featured, and quick. Don't leave home without it.

Good luck - Will
"If heaven too had passions  | Will Rose
     even heaven would       | UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!cw
     grow old."  -  Li Ho.   | ARPA: crash!pnet01!cwr@nosc.mil
                             | INET: cwr@pnet01.cts.com

UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!cwr

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) (01/28/91)

As quoted from <6985@crash.cts.com> by cwr@pnet01.cts.com (Will Rose):
+---------------
| >present, so anything I do will have to fit on the 10 meg or on 360 K
| >floppies.
|
| I've run Minix on a 10MHz XT clone with 640K of memory and a 40mS hard
| disk for a couple of years now; it's quite effective (at least, version
| 1.5 is).  You will need 20MB of disk space, tho', to do anything useful
| (15MB is the bare minimum) and you will need a 1.2MB or (better) 1.44MB
| drive for backup.  While you can *run* Minix on a PC with just one floppy
+---------------

The 360K drive is dead?  My XT clone is out of slots, so I can't just drop a
1.2MB controller in.  (Not to mention that there seems to be no way to disable
the motherboard floppy controller.)

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN

ghelmer@dsuvax.uucp (Guy Helmer) (01/28/91)

In <1991Jan27.170806.55@NCoast.ORG> allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) writes:

>As quoted from <6985@crash.cts.com> by cwr@pnet01.cts.com (Will Rose):
>+---------------
>|                                you will need a 1.2MB or (better) 1.44MB
>| drive for backup.

>The 360K drive is dead?  My XT clone is out of slots, so I can't just drop a
>1.2MB controller in.  (Not to mention that there seems to be no way to disable
>the motherboard floppy controller.)

Minix still runs (slowly) on my AT&T PC6300 with 360K drives.  I have
only backed up my 15Mb onto floppies once, though, and I nearly had to
use every floppy I own :-(

--
Guy Helmer                          helmer@sdnet.bitnet, uunet!dsuvax!ghelmer
Dakota State University Computing Services ------------------- (605) 256-5315