[comp.os.minix] Elvis 1.4

cwr@pnet01.cts.com (Will Rose) (12/07/90)

Archivists take note - Elvis 1.4 has just been posted to (I think)
alt/sources.  The docs are partly munged, but the program itself is
ok and compiles with no problems under PC Minix 1.5.10.  Steve's
included a general-purpose makefile - just uncomment the lines
relevant to your OS.  Really a magic piece of work.

Good luck - Will

"If heaven too had passions  | Will Rose
     even heaven would       | UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!cw
     grow old."  -  Li Ho.   | ARPA: crash!pnet01!cwr@nosc.mil
                             | INET: cwr@pnet01.cts.com

UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!cwr
ARPA: crash!pnet01!cwr@nosc.mil
INET: cwr@pnet01.cts.com

cwr@pnet01.cts.com (Will Rose) (01/28/91)

Sorry for the failed posting - I think I mangled the editor. Once again:

kapil@zarquon.uchicago.edu (Kapil Paranjape) writes:

>[I tried compiling Elvis 1.4].  The "make" took a few hours (XT -:()
>and the produced an elvis which crashed with floating point exception.
>Would some expert be able to tell me whether (and why!?) elvis needs a
>floating point calculation? (Needless to  say no 8087---here you find a
>disbeliever in floating points!)

I don't know why your machine crashed, but I compiled the standard Elvis
1.4 on an XT clone running standard 1.5.10 with no problems.  (I used
SK's suggested options to reduce the binary size.)  Elvis doesn't use
FP - the problem must lie somewhere in your edit/compile/link cycle.

>Some other utilities on 1.5 that crash are test, whereis and ps.

"Test" is like a Military Academy - bits of it keep passing out.  I've
never crashed whereis, tho', and I use it quite a bit.  (muttering in
the background... stackspace, ecspskcats, stackspace... ).  Ps is a
nice piece of computer science, and as the Mac world is now proving,
a bear to set up.  It might be crashing for any reason at all.

It would be pretty to think that the problems with Elvis, whereis and ps
are related.  I can't see whereis stretching the limits of the compiler,
so have you got a dud library routine somewhere?

Good luck, anyway - Will