[comp.os.minix] Minix Versions

shawn@eddie.mit.edu (Shawn F. Mckay) (01/30/91)

Howdy. Many thanks to the folks who responded to my hard disk boot
question. I finally get shoelace, and am very happy with the result.
(Although I have lost my partition boot block several times now,
I'm not sure why, I have not tracked it, but thought I'd mention it
in case its a known bug of some sort).

Anyway, I start looking around bugs.nosc, and noticed that there were
upgrade kits that looked like fun, but they had a little more detail
in and about their version number than I have.

The book/disks for minix, all say "Minix 1.5", and that's it! That's nice
except the stuff on nosc lists everything from v1.5.0 -> v1.5.6...
A little more looking around, found no clues on the O/S itself,
perhaps there is an /etc/version file I'm missing? Anyway, if someone
could point me to what version the "release" is, I can then determine
with ease if any of the upgrade kits apply to me or not.

			Many Thanks,
			  -- Shawn

overby@plains.NoDak.edu (Glen Overby) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan29.200840.11228@eddie.mit.edu> shawn@eddie.mit.edu (Shawn F. Mckay) writes:
>The book/disks for minix, all say "Minix 1.5", and that's it! That's nice

When Andy puts together a new version of Minix for release by Prentice-Hall,
he always ends up sending several mutations to the net.  In the case of what
P-H distributed as "1.5", there were about 6 mutations posted.  1.5.10 was
the final thing, and if you want to put together a full "1.5" system from
your 1.3 system the best way is to Andrew Cagney's upgrade kit (available
from ftp.ucs.adelaide.oz.au and plains.nodak.edu).
--
		Glen Overby	<overby@plains.nodak.edu>
	uunet!plains!overby (UUCP)  overby@plains (Bitnet)

heinsbr%svcentld%HDEDH1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Anton Heinsbroek) (01/31/91)

Hello,

I've read the message from Glen Overby stating the use of Andrew Cagney's
upgrade kit to make a Minix 1.5 version starting from version 1.3. I'm very
interested in this upgrade possibility. Can anybody give me a hint of how
to download this update? Which command should I mail to plains.nodak.edu at
what "user". I think I'm on bitnet.

> When Andy puts together a new version of Minix for release by Prentice-Hall,
> he always ends up sending several mutations to the net.  In the case of what
> P-H distributed as "1.5", there were about 6 mutations posted.  1.5.10 was
> the final thing, and if you want to put together a full "1.5" system from
> your 1.3 system the best way is to Andrew Cagney's upgrade kit (available
> from ftp.ucs.adelaide.oz.au and plains.nodak.edu).
> --
>               Glen Overby     <overby@plains.nodak.edu>
>       uunet!plains!overby (UUCP)  overby@plains (Bitnet)

If someone can give me a good hint, I would be very pleased. I can be reached
at: heinsbr%svcentld@HDEDH1.BITNET

Thanks in advance.

Anton Heinsbroek, DELFT HYDRAULICS, The Netherlands.

overby@plains.NoDak.edu (Glen Overby) (02/01/91)

In article <43320@nigel.ee.udel.edu> heinsbr%svcentld%HDEDH1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Anton Heinsbroek) writes:
> [..] Can anybody give me a hint of how
>to download this update? Which command should I mail to plains.nodak.edu at
>what "user". I think I'm on bitnet.

Start by reading the Minix Information Sheet.  I'll post it on Feb 1 as I
always do.

Short-form help: send a message with only "help" in the body to
archive-server@plains.nodak.edu.  If your site doesn't know how to handle
domain names, lynch the people who run it.  The address you send it from
must be something that any Internet/Bitnet/UUCP node can reply to (i.e. if
you're not in the UUCP maps, you'll have trouble).

>If someone can give me a good hint, I would be very pleased. I can be reached
>at: heinsbr%svcentld@HDEDH1.BITNET

Come to think of it, THAT is your problem.  You aren't even ON Bitnet!
"Pure" Bitnet uses user@host... no %-hacks.  In fact, I've seen a ton of
rejects from the mailer on Plains about you trying to use the archive
server.  As pathalias would say, "Sorry, you can't get there from here".