[comp.os.minix] Interest in a MINIX FAQ?

ghelmer@dsuvax.uucp (Guy Helmer) (02/01/91)

Considering the number of common questions that go by each month
in comp.os.minix, is anyone interested in helping form a Frequently
Asked Questions list?  For instance, it seems like several questions
have gone by in the past couple of weeks about using 1.44Mb drives
under PC-Minix.  Also, every couple of months someone asks, "How much
work would it be to port X to MINIX?"

I definitely don't want to discourage postings by new users of MINIX ---
to them I say, "Welcome aboard!"  I think we could make this group
more useful to them if we had an FAQ for them to reference.  I think
this could complement Glen's MINIX Information Sheet, which deals
more with the "how do I get MINIX" type questions.

Comments?

--
Guy Helmer                          helmer@sdnet.bitnet, uunet!dsuvax!ghelmer
Dakota State University Computing Services ------------------- (605) 256-5315

nall@sun8.scri.fsu.edu (John Nall) (02/01/91)

In article <1991Jan31.193817.27427@dsuvax.uucp> ghelmer@dsuvax.uucp (Guy Helmer) writes:
>Considering the number of common questions that go by each month
>in comp.os.minix, is anyone interested in helping form a Frequently
>Asked Questions list?
> .
> .
> . . . . I think
>this could complement Glen's MINIX Information Sheet, which deals
>more with the "how do I get MINIX" type questions.
>
>Comments?
>
>--
>Guy Helmer                          helmer@sdnet.bitnet, uunet!dsuvax!ghelmer

For some reason, I thought a FAQ already existed, but since Guy is one of the
"regulars" I'm sure he must be right :-)

It definitely is worthwhile.  The only comment I would have other than that
is that it might be better to combine a FAQ  with the Minix Information Sheet.
But of course that would be up to Glen Overby, who probably is overloaded already.

--
John W. Nall		| Supercomputer Computations Research Institute
nall@sun8.scri.fsu.edu  | Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306