[comp.os.minix] Commonly Asked Minix Questions

overby@plains.NoDak.edu (Glen Overby) (09/01/90)

[ What follows is a VERY rough First-Cut try at a "Commonly Asked Questions"
  which is ment to approach questions in a different way than the Information
  Sheet does.  If you have questions and answers to contribute, please send
  them to me, overby@plains.nodak.edu]

Commonly Asked Questions on Comp.Os.MINIX

The venerable Minix Information Sheet never seems  to  give  ade-
quate answer the common questions on comp.os.minix.  As a result,
I have decided to create a  "Question-Answer"  format  companion.
In  doing so, I have attempted to recall the Great Questions (and
their answers) as well as the Great Discussions from the net.

When asking questions of the net, please supply information about
what  version  you  are running, what your hardware configuration
is, and so-on.  If you are reluctant to tell any or all of  this,
don't expect a good answer.

1.  Where can I get MINIX?
Minix is sold by Prentice-Hall, Inc. and their authorized distri-
butors.  They hold the copyright on Minix, and sell it for profit
(or at least we assume they make a profit  on  it).   IT  IS  NOT
AVAILABLE FOR ANONYMOUS FTP.

2.  What versions of Minix exist?
The most current version is 1.5.10.  Upgrade  "diffs"  have  been
posted  to  the  net over the past several months; consult an ar-
chive site listed in the Info Sheet to find that.   Prentice-Hall
should be shipping "1.5" on disk "Real Soon Now".

3.  When will PC1.5, ST1.5, Mac, Amiga MINIX be available?
Sometime soon.  Don't hold your breath, but we hope  it  will  be
before it becomes obsolete.

4.  PDP 11/44 Memory Management
This was the first big off-the-topic discussion on the group, and
it's  still  not an appropriate topic, so if you are still intri-
gued about pdp-11 memory management, consult  the  dec  processor
handbooks, or some harmless newsgroup like comp.lang.ada.

5.  Please subscrbe me to the mailing list
why ask 26,000 people to do that, when there is  one  person  who
can do it, and you can ask a computer to do it for you.

If you are on bitnet or arpanet, you can get this newsgroup via a
mailing  list,  info-minix.  To subcribe to the list, send a mes-
sage to  listserv@vm1.nodak.edu  (internet)  or  listserv@ndsuvm1
(bitnet) saying:

          signup minix-l your_full_name

If you have trouble, contact the list maintainer  at  info-minix-
request@udel.edu.

6.  What is the root password?
It's in the book, on pages  373  (login  "ast")  and  380  (login
"root").   If  you  didn't buy the book, that's only the start of
your problems.

7.  MINIX doesn't work with my hard disk.
There are many potential sources of this.  Several are:

You are running an RLL controler.  You must  change  "NR_SECTORS"
in the configuration file, <minix/config.h> from 17 (standard for
MFM controllers) to 25 (Adaptect controlers) or 26 (Western Digi-
tal and others).

8.  Is there a SCSI driver for MINIX?
All SCSI controlers work differently, from the primitive  Seagate
ST01,  to  the  smarter Always IN-2000, and Adaptec with it's own
on-board CPU.  Nobody has yet posted a wini  driver  for  any  of
these, but there has been talk of it.  For now, you are stuck us-
ing the ROM wini driver.

9.  The single threaded filesystem is a real bottlenck.
True.   it's  only  noticeable  when  you  are  running   massive
bacground processes, or putting multiple users on your computer.

You've got the source.  Fix it.

10.  Is there a 32-bit Minix?
Yes.  Bruce Evans has  an  experimental  32-bit  system.   It  is
available from the archive site in Australia.

11.  I have an old version of Minix. How can I upgrade?
You need to get an upgrade kit from one  of  the  archive  sites.
Also, read the Upgrading Tutorial -- it was ment to help.

--
		Glen Overby	<overby@plains.nodak.edu>
	uunet!plains!overby (UUCP)  overby@plains (Bitnet)

overby@plains.NoDak.edu (Glen Overby) (02/01/91)

[ What follows is a still-VERY rough try at a "Commonly Asked Questions"
  which is ment to approach questions in a different way than the Information
  Sheet does.  Since Guy Helmer suggested it I thought I'd post what I've
  got.  If you have questions and answers to contribute, please send them to
[...]

has been shipping ALL versions of Minix 1.5 for several months.

3.  PDP 11/44 Memory Management
This was the first big off-the-topic discussion on the group, and
it's  still  not an appropriate topic, so if you are still intri-
gued about pdp-11 memory management, consult  the  DEC  processor
handbooks, or some harmless newsgroup like alt.dev.null.

4.  Please subscrbe me to the mailing list
why ask 26,000 people to do that, when there is  one  person  who
can do it, and you can ask a computer to do it for you.

If you are on bitnet or arpanet, you can get this newsgroup via a
mailing  list,  info-minix.  To subcribe to the list, send a mes-
sage to  listserv@vm1.nodak.edu  (internet)  or  listserv@ndsuvm1
(bitnet) saying:

          signup minix-l your_full_name

If you have trouble, contact the list maintainer  at  info-minix-
request@udel.edu.

5.  What is the root password?
It's in the book, on pages  373  (login  "ast")  and  380  (login
"root").   If  you  didn't buy the book, that's only the start of
your problems.

6.  MINIX doesn't work with my hard disk.
There are many potential sources of this.  Several are:

You are running an RLL controler.  You must  change  "NR_SECTORS"
in the configuration file, <minix/config.h> from 17 (standard for
MFM controllers) to 25 (Adaptect controlers) or 26 (Western Digi-
tal and others).

7.  Is there a SCSI driver for MINIX?
All SCSI controlers work differently, from the primitive  Seagate
ST01,  to  the  smarter Always IN-2000, and Adaptec with it's own
on-board CPU.  Nobody has yet posted a wini  driver  for  any  of
these, but there has been talk of it.  For now, you are stuck us-
ing the ROM wini driver.

8.  The single threaded filesystem is a real bottlenck.
True.   It's  only  noticeable  when  you  are  running   massive
bacground processes, or putting multiple users on your computer.

You've got the source.  Fix it.

9.  Is there a 32-bit Minix?
Yes.  Bruce Evans has  an  experimental  32-bit  system.   It  is
available   from  the  archive  site  in  Australia  as  well  as
plains.nodak.edu.

10.  I have an old version of Minix. How can I upgrade?

chao@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Chia-Chi Chao) (02/02/91)

In article <CAQ1mar1991@plains.nodak.edu> overby@plains.nodak.edu (Glen Overby) writes:
>6.  MINIX doesn't work with my hard disk.
>There are many potential sources of this.  Several are:
>
>You are running an RLL controler.  You must  change  "NR_SECTORS"
>in the configuration file, <minix/config.h> from 17 (standard for
>MFM controllers) to 25 (Adaptect controlers) or 26 (Western Digi-
>tal and others).

I assume that the fix is for 1.5 only, because I don't see the config.h file in
version 1.2.  Is it possible to use RLL (26) controller with Minix 1.2?  The
class I am taking uses 1.2, so using other versions is not possible.  Thanks.
--

Chia-Chi Chao     chao@cs.ucla.edu   ..!ucbvax!cs.ucla.edu!chao

overby@plains.NoDak.edu (Glen Overby) (02/02/91)

In article <1991Feb2.005637.10553@cs.ucla.edu> chao@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Chia-Chi Chao) writes:
)In article <CAQ1mar1991@plains.nodak.edu> overby@plains.nodak.edu (Glen Overby) writes:
)>You are running an RLL controler.  You must  change  "NR_SECTORS"
)>in the configuration file, <minix/config.h> from 17 (standard for
)>MFM controllers) to 25 (Adaptect controlers) or 26 (Western Digi-
)>tal and others).

)I assume that the fix is for 1.5 only, because I don't see the config.h file in
)version 1.2.  Is it possible to use RLL (26) controller with Minix 1.2?  The

for v1.2 you have to change the same #define in xt_wini.c