[comp.os.minix] rn for Minix now on plains.nodak.edu

wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) (01/30/91)

Ok, it's done and it's all the devil's fault.  My "quick hack" (== 2 days
of intense hacking) of rn is up on plains.nodak.edu.  I plopped it into
pub/Minix/ftp_contrib/minix-rn.tar-X, and asked Glen to move it to the
directory pub/Minix/all.contrib.  Note that it is COMIC'd, not compressed.
Comic gives FAR better compression ratios, and I live on a 386/33, so
it compresses pretty quick.  Not to worry about de-comic'ing, though.  It
decomics at about the same speed as uncompress.  If you don't have
comic, I highly suggest you get it.

Be sure to read the README.minix first.  This is NOT a nice, clean,
shirt-and-fancy-tie port.  It's quick and dirty.  The main reason is
that the installation of rn is highly automated, and I just changed
what I had to change to make it work.  To actually modify the "real"
install would take me another few days work, and since I've decided
to put off installing UUCP on my Minix machine, I have no incentive
to do that right now.

I started with rn 4.3 patchlevel 54.  The README.minix tells you
how to get the Minix version from that, and the tar file is the
result of my following my own instructions.  I actually had to
*follow* the instructions because I accidentally erased the new
version when I meant to delete the old, but luckily the instructions
were in a separate directory.  It took me about 2 hours to get it
up again.  You will have to increase some of the limits in your
bourne shell, but they're pretty trivial.  Once that's done, Hopefully
all you have to do is type "Configure" and it'll all work; but don't
bet on it.

--
"Dad, what should I be when I grow up?"
"Honest." -- Robert M. Pirsig, _Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence_.

Wayne Hayes	INTERNET: wayne@csri.utoronto.ca	CompuServe: 72401,3525

root@arrakis.nl.mugnet.org (The root) (02/03/91)

In article <1991Jan30.000227.10279@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>, wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) wrote:
> Ok, it's done and it's all the devil's fault.
Ain't he a busybody ;-)

>						My "quick hack" (== 2 days
> of intense hacking) of rn is up on plains.nodak.edu.  I plopped it into
> pub/Minix/ftp_contrib/minix-rn.tar-X, and asked Glen to move it to the
> directory pub/Minix/all.contrib.
tar-X? Uh-oh...

>				   Note that it is COMIC'd, not compressed.
Ouch! I was afraid it would be something like this.

> Comic gives FAR better compression ratios, and I live on a 386/33, so
> it compresses pretty quick.  Not to worry about de-comic'ing, though.  It
> decomics at about the same speed as uncompress.  If you don't have
> comic, I highly suggest you get it.
Now this asks for a flame....

#FLAME ON

  This must be the umpthieth time somebody tries to sell a new compression
program to the net. We've had ARC, zoo, 16 bit compress, lharc, and now
COMIC. Well, it ain't comical!
  The reason all official postings are in 13- (or 12-) bit compressed format
is NOT because of it's high compression rate, but BECAUSE THAT IS THE ONLY
FORMAT EVERYBODY CAN READ!
  I suppose ARC has died silently,
  PkZip is MessDos only,
  Zoo I've seen up and running, but it's compression rate is not
    very impressive,
  16-bit compress won't run on 64K+64K,
  COMIC, ... well this is the first time I heard about it.
I saved lharc to be the last, because I've seen it run on MS-DOS, TOS,
UNIX, Minix-ST, and (hearsay from Fred vK) Minix-PC. It's compression
rate is excellent, and it's speed is acceptable. It's perfect when compared
to compress, and it combines the functions of tar & compress (including
file mode bits, date, etc.).

BUT, I _won't_ ever post or ftp files compressed by it, because
that wasn't the deal...

#FLAME OFF

But anyway, I'm interested in news-readers. Right now I'm running
vn on Minix-ST, and that works fine. Vn is a rather basic newsreader
though, I would like one with a little more capabilities.

Greetings, Bert

    Bert Laverman		email: bert@arrakis.nl.mugnet.org
    Molukkenstraat 148		work:  laverman@cs.rug.nl
    9715 NZ  Groningen
    The Netherlands		tel.:  +31 50 - 733587

      "The ability to produce garbage is a sign of power."
	  -J.B. Goodenough (at RMISE workshop on Software Reuse)

wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) (02/04/91)

In article <910203943@arrakis.nl.mugnet.org> root@arrakis.nl.mugnet.org (The root) writes:
>  The reason all official postings are in 13- (or 12-) bit compressed format
>is NOT because of it's high compression rate, but BECAUSE THAT IS THE ONLY
>FORMAT EVERYBODY CAN READ!

Sorry, I thought Comic had wide distribution within the Minix community.
It was written by one of Andy Tanebaum's grad students and posted here
a few months ago.  It's on plains.nodak.edu, and I'll be happy to send it
to anybody that wants it.  It's about 50K uuencoded, so I can even post
it if there's a big enough response.  (Respond to my mailbox; don't post
your response here!)