[comp.os.minix] P-H shipping idiosyncracies

oddjob@oz.plymouth.edu (Andrew C. Stoffel) (02/06/91)

In article <1991Feb6.032849.8832@uniwa.uwa.oz> comrade@uniwa.uwa.oz (Peter Cooper (GUILD)) writes:
[stuff deleted on how somebody/group ended up with MacMinix instead of
PC Minix]
>Even with these criticisms, I quite like MacMinix and intend to use it
>quite intensively.
I like ST Minix :-), but then I have an ST not a Mac:-)
>Oh, and something for alt.conspiracy:
>Could Prentice-Hall be sending the wrong packages on purpose?  They've
>already made twice the number of sales that they would have otherwise.
>:-)
Well.....
	I was given Minix for Christmas (only way I could afford it).
Imagine my suprise and HORROR when I opened up the box (on CHristmas
(My wife wouldn't let me near it till then)) and ONLY disks 0,1,2,3
were in it !!!!!! And doubles (two of each) at that. (Oh.. and the
manual..... (only 1 of those %-)) of course)

I called Prentice-Hall early the next morning and reached a very
helpful person in their Minix support group. She told me I would get the
rest of the disks in a couple days. I recieved them exactly 3 days
later. (With an  apology no less....)

To say I was relieved is an understatement... there's not much you can
do with the first 4 disks of a 10 disk distribution (it ran but I
didn't have very many commands to do anything with). It did renew my
faith in Prentice-Hall.

Now if only I could figure out WHAT files at assorted archive sites
are needed to go from 1.5.10.0 to 1.5.10.3 (No, it's NOT obvious to
ME)

--
|"The Snark WAS a Boojum, you see!"|Good   : acs@unhd.unh.edu       |
|"Reality !?! Isn't that something |Better : ANDYS@psc.plymouth.edu |