[comp.os.minix] Macminix GetNextEvent

pnakada@oracle.com (Paul Nakada) (02/07/91)

The kernel code contains a line something like

GetNextEvent (GetNextevent (foo, goo));

Has anyone figured out what the correct fix for this problem is?
someone recomended separating the two into

GetNextEvent (foo, goo);
GetNextEvent (foo, goo);

but I haven't heard anything confirming the correctness of the above.

Thanks

-Paul Nakada
--

Paul Nakada  |  Oracle Corporation  |  pnakada@oracle.com

mccabe@sneezy.cs.unc.edu (Daniel McCabe) (02/08/91)

In article <PNAKADA.91Feb6091804@pnakada.oracle.com> pnakada@oracle.com (Paul Nakada) writes:
>The kernel code contains a line something like
>	GetNextEvent (GetNextevent (foo, goo));
>Has anyone figured out what the correct fix for this problem is?
>
>-Paul Nakada

From the horse's mouth: I received the following **UNOFFICIAL** reply from
Joe Pickert.  It is posted **WITHOUT** his permission.

}From: <pickert@mightymouse.cs.uiuc.edu>
}Subject: Re: GetNextEvent() usage in console.c
}To: mccabe@cs.unc.edu (Daniel McCabe)
}Date: Wed, 16 Jan 91 10:49:10 CST
}> There have been several reports in comp.os.minix that the following piece
}> of code resides in kernel/console.c (I haven't verified it myself):
}> 	GetNextEvent(GetNextEvent(0, &e));
}> This code results in the exception vector getting trashed and may contribute
}> to instability in minix.
}
}Yes, my mind was obviously in neutral when I wrote that line.
}In my code I have changed it to a single getnextevent call, as in
}		GetNextEvent(0, &e);
}which should appear in the next update.
}
}Joe Pickert
}archetyp@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu

Hope this helps,
danm

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Joe Pickert, Andy Tanenbaum, VU, UIUC,
PH or any other person or organization associated with Minix.  I am simply
a cu$tomer, just like the rest of you.