[comp.os.minix] MINIX vs XINU

davem@sdcrdcf.UUCP (David Melman) (01/21/87)

I'm curious how the goals and purpose of Comer's Xinu operating system
(Operating System Design, the Xinu Approach) differ from Tanenbaum's Minix.

A few things they do have in common are:
	1) They both run on micros
	2) They both are a rewritten simplification of Unix
	3) They both are intended to be educational

David Melman

mcvoy@rsch.WISC.EDU (Lawrence W. McVoy) (01/21/87)

In article <3862@sdcrdcf.UUCP> davem@sdcrdcf.UUCP (David Melman) writes:

>I'm curious how the goals and purpose of Comer's Xinu operating system
>(Operating System Design, the Xinu Approach) differ from Tanenbaum's Minix.
>
>A few things they do have in common are:
>	1) They both run on micros

I guess, if you call an LSI-11 a micro.

>	2) They both are a rewritten simplification of Unix

Nope.  Xinu stands for "Xinu Is Not Unix".  Did you read the book?  Hmm...
A long time ago, maybe?  Oh, well.

>	3) They both are intended to be educational

I disagree.  Let me take a stab at the answer to your first question.

I think that Xinu is educational.  It may not have been intended as such,
but because of the lack of supporting software & hardware it will never
amount much more than an intellectual exercise.  (Don't get me wrong --
I got a lot out of the Xinu book).

Minix is an attempt to remove all those footnotes from journal articles
that say "Unix is a trademark of Ma Bell".  It is also an attempt to
standardize a Unix so that software developers have something to
shoot for.  It's also a replacement for DOS, no small item when you
consider there are probably (note the clause) more IBM-PC's & clones
out there than any other single CPU.  A large potential market.  Last
but not least, Tanenbaum stands to make a fair bit off his OS book.
He already has a pretty good reputation for cranking out readable texts.
--
Larry McVoy 	        mcvoy@rsch.wisc.edu,
      		        {seismo, topaz, harvard, ihnp4, etc}!uwvax!mcvoy

"They're coming soon!  Quad-stated guru-gates!"

ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (01/22/87)

In article <3862@sdcrdcf.UUCP> davem@sdcrdcf.UUCP (David Melman) writes:

>I'm curious how the goals and purpose of Comer's Xinu operating system
>(Operating System Design, the Xinu Approach) differ from Tanenbaum's Minix.
>
>A few things they do have in common are:
>	1) They both run on micros
>	2) They both are a rewritten simplification of Unix
>	3) They both are intended to be educational

And they're both 'published' by Prentice-Hall.
You apparently need a UNIX source license to get a XINU distribution
tape from Prentice-Hall.  This is a diasadvantage.
It will be interesting to see if the publisher will continue to support
a product with such restrictions.

Here is an excerpt from the article I saw that mentioned XINU.

]Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1985 18:16-EST
]From: th@python.UUCP (T. Hartnett)
]To: ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu.ARPA
]Subject: A vote for net.os (and some XINU)
]	If you are working with an LSI-11, most everything is done for you
]already.  You just have to get a hold of the distribution tape from Prentice-
]Hall (it's  approx. $60 plus a copy of your UNIX license).
--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Internet: ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu    Phone: (412) 268-2847 [CMU-BUGS], 268-3275
Amateur Radio: KA3PLY temporary KT (c/o W3VC, CMU Radio Club, Pittsburgh, PA)

tsf@theory.cs.cmu.edu (Timothy Freeman) (01/22/87)

>In article <3862@sdcrdcf.UUCP> davem@sdcrdcf.UUCP (David Melman) writes:
>>I'm curious how the goals and purpose of Comer's Xinu operating system
>>(Operating System Design, the Xinu Approach) differ from Tanenbaum's Minix.
>>A few things they do have in common are:
>>	1) They both run on micros
>>	2) They both are a rewritten simplification of Unix
>>	3) They both are intended to be educational

I and several cohorts implemented a subset of Xinu for the IBM PC as a
project for an Operating Systems course back when I was at Rensselaer.  Here
are some differences between the two.  (I have no knowledge about
Minix except by reading this bboard, so my statements about Xinu are
going to be more accurate than my statements about Minix.)

    4) Minix is System V compatible; Xinu isn't meant to be a Unix, so
       it isn't compatible with anything.  (Xinu stands
       for Xinu Is Not Unix, and I can vouch for the correctness of
       its acronym.)
    5) Xinu only has lightweight processes (that is, they are all in
       the same address space and share a common pool of resources).
       Minix only has heavyweight processes (that is, each process has
       its own address space and can try to believe that it has its
       own pool of resources, to the extent to which this is true for
       Unices in general.)
    6) Xinu doesn't have an analogue to the exec system call, all code that
       you can ever execute must be in the initial core image.  Minix
       does have an exec call.
    7) Xinu specifies a new process to start by giving a subroutine to
       execute for the new process; it doesn't have a fork call.
       Minix does have fork.
    8) Xinu was not sufficient to use as a development system for
       itself.  Minix hopefully is.  (The original Xinu development
       environment ran under Unix and used cross-compilers.  The Xinu
       version I developed used MS-Dos as a development environment.)

In summary, Xinu is a great vehicle for an operating systems course
because it is possible for one person to implement enough of it to be
able to run things within a semester, but don't try to use it to get
any work done.
--
Tim Freeman

Arpanet: tsf@theory.cs.cmu.edu
Uucp:    ...!seismo!theory.cs.cmu.edu!tsf

brent%terra@Sun.COM (Brent Callaghan) (01/22/87)

In article <1053@ius2.cs.cmu.edu>, ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) writes:
> You apparently need a UNIX source license to get a XINU distribution
> tape from Prentice-Hall.  This is a diasadvantage.

Huh! If Xinu is not Unix then why the Unix license ?

(I'm confused)

Made in New Zealand -->  Brent Callaghan  @ Sun Microsystems
			 uucp: sun!bcallaghan
			 phone: (415) 691 6188

budd@bu-cs.UUCP (01/23/87)

Xinu as described in the book was not an attempt at providing a user
oriented operating system. For example there are no provisions for
user address spaces (fork takes the address of a routine to call)

The tape from the publisher contains a complete cross development
environment for VAX/BSD, which includes a modified version of the Un*x
V7 C compiler, loader etc in source code.

I believe the only reason for the licence is to obtain the v7 tools.

mwm@cuuxb.UUCP (01/24/87)

In article <3862@sdcrdcf.UUCP> davem@sdcrdcf.UUCP (David Melman) writes:

>I'm curious how the goals and purpose of Comer's Xinu operating system
>(Operating System Design, the Xinu Approach) differ from Tanenbaum's Minix.
>
>A few things they do have in common are:
>	1) They both run on micros
>	2) They both are a rewritten simplification of Unix
>	3) They both are intended to be educational
>
>David Melman

	Wrong on 2).

	Xinu is NOT Unix. (X.I.N.U. -- get it?) Xinu is a smaller, simpler,
	multitasking operating system used to teach operating system
	concepts.  A Unix-like interface could be layered onto Xinu, but
	it has not (to my knowledge) been done.  So you cannot take a
	random Unix program and compile the code and run it under Xinu.

	It would seem to me that one might want, when teaching about
	operating systems, want to go through both systems -- Comer's
	because it is easy to understand and play with, and then
	Tannenbaum's because it provides many features that Xinu does
	not. (for example, Xinu provides no multi-user facilities like
	user-id's, file ownership, etc.)

--
 Marc Mengel
 ...!ihnp4!cuuxb!mwm

andrewjp@uoregon.UUCP (01/24/87)

>You apparently need a UNIX source license to get a XINU distribution
>tape from Prentice-Hall.  This is a diasadvantage.

But then, since XINU is in the public domain, you don't really need a
copy of the distributon tape.  We have xinu installed at our site, and
I'm sure many others have it lying around as well.  There's more than
one way to skin a walrus.

Cygnus.
"Better Living Through Ignorance"

Eric Swanson
c/o andrewjp@drizzle.UUCP
    P.O. Box 30098
    Eugene, OR  97403
    (503) 484-2790 or
    (503) 484-4184

john@moncol.UUCP (01/25/87)

In article <1053@ius2.cs.cmu.edu> ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu.UUCP writes:
>In article <3862@sdcrdcf.UUCP> davem@sdcrdcf.UUCP (David Melman) writes:
>>
>>I'm curious how the goals and purpose of Comer's Xinu operating system
>>(Operating System Design, the Xinu Approach) differ from Tanenbaum's Minix.
>>
>>A few things they do have in common are:
>>	1) They both run on micros
>>	2) They both are a rewritten simplification of Unix
>>	3) They both are intended to be educational
>
>And they're both 'published' by Prentice-Hall.
>You apparently need a UNIX source license to get a XINU distribution
>tape from Prentice-Hall.  This is a diasadvantage.
>It will be interesting to see if the publisher will continue to support
>a product with such restrictions.

Just a slight clarification... the problem is not that you need a UNIX
license to get the XINU sources, but to get the distribution from
Prentice-Hall which includes some UNIX-derived cross-development tools.

Some time ago, someone actually posted (or offered to mail) the XINU
sources. He had permission from Comer and there was no legal hassle since
he was not distributing the cross development stuff.

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

	If you give bigger kisses, you get bigger hugs.

ron@brl-sem.UUCP (01/26/87)

In article <3862@sdcrdcf.UUCP>, davem@sdcrdcf.UUCP (David Melman) writes:

> I'm curious how the goals and purpose of Comer's Xinu operating system
> (Operating System Design, the Xinu Approach) differ from Tanenbaum's Minix.
>
> A few things they do have in common are:
> 	1) They both run on micros
> 	2) They both are a rewritten simplification of Unix
> 	3) They both are intended to be educational

I'll add a few more
	4) The source to both are available from Prentice-Hall.

The main advantage to MINIX, I see, is that it comes ready to fly and
experiment on an IBM-PC, which most people have or can get a hold of.
XINU is for the PDP-11, which are becoming scarce, and have never been
dirt cheap.  Also, I believe, that you really have to have a PDP-11
development environment (read C compiler) to run it, while MINIX has
the binaries for the PC one on the disks.

-Ron

ron@brl-sem.UUCP (01/26/87)

In article <1010@theory.cs.cmu.edu>, tsf@theory.cs.cmu.edu (Timothy Freeman) writes:

>     4) Minix is System V compatible; Xinu isn't meant to be a Unix, so
>        it isn't compatible with anything.  (Xinu stands
>        for Xinu Is Not Unix, and I can vouch for the correctness of
>        its acronym.)
MINIX IS NOT SYSTEM V compatible, but it does bear a striking resemblence
to large parts of Version 7 UNIX.  XINU is UNIX spelled backwards and any
attempt to words to the acronym is an afterthought.

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (01/27/87)

As quoted from <11890@sun.uucp> by brent%terra@Sun.COM (Brent Callaghan):
+---------------
| In article <1053@ius2.cs.cmu.edu>, ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) writes:
| > You apparently need a UNIX source license to get a XINU distribution
| > tape from Prentice-Hall.  This is a diasadvantage.
|
| Huh! If Xinu is not Unix then why the Unix license ?
|
| (I'm confused)
+---------------

Because the distribution tape includes a XINU development environment:  source
for modified versions of pcc, as, and ld, among other things.  Since they are
derived from AT&T UNIX source, you need an AT&T UNIX source license to get
them.  And because it's so minimal as distributed, XINU is worthless without
them (remember, XINU is a bare-bones OS intended to teach basic OS concepts).

++Brandon
--
 ____   ______________
/    \ / __   __   __ \   Brandon S. Allbery	    <backbone>!ncoast!allbery
\____/ \______________/   +1 216 781 6201

john@frog.UUCP (01/28/87)

> > You apparently need a UNIX source license to get a XINU distribution
> > tape from Prentice-Hall.  This is a diasadvantage.
> Huh! If Xinu is not Unix then why the Unix license ?
> (I'm confused)

The XINU distribution tape from Prentice-Hall includes some modified UNIX
utilities (a standalone C compiler, linker, and library, I believe), and
rather than have a tape with and a tape without, they chose to always require
a license (perhaps because their lawyers weren't used to this kind of problem,
perhaps because they were lazy).

--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw%mit-ccc@MIT-XX.ARPA

 WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***

jose@inmet.UUCP (01/29/87)

It is unfortunate that people view XINU as a simple
operating system for educational purposes. It is in fact
a viable alternative for developing software on bare machines.
Unix (TM) and MINIX are not well suited for use in embedded
applications at this time. They are too big and offer
many more facillities than are required. In contrast,
XINU's size and process control facilities make it,
in my opinion, as attractive an alternative for multi
process embedded applications as Ada (TM) or Modula 2.

Jose Oglesby
Intermetrics Inc.

awol@vpnet.chi.il.us (Al Oomens) (02/09/91)

I would appreciate any info/opinions regarding differances/advantages of
MINIX over XINU and vice-versa. If you would mail replys, I would be
willing to sumarize. Being completely new to both OSs, I am considering
implementing one or the other, and would appreciate any info.
Thanks!