[comp.os.minix] Some initial impressions of Amiga MINIX

jkh@bambam.pcs.com (Jordan K. Hubbard) (02/01/91)

My efforts to join the ranks of Amiga Minix users have not been
easy, I'm afraid.

 First, I had absolutely no luck at all with Prentice-Hall's
U.K. distribution office (International Book Distributors, Ltd):

 After an initial delay of some 3 months (partly due to the fact that
Amiga Minix was still in the "announced" phase and not in the
"shipping" phase), I finally received Minix version 1.5 for the IBM
PC. The invoice clearly stated "Minix 1.5 for the Amiga", but that was
most definately not what I got.

 A few phone calls ensued, and at some point IBD conceded that they
had made a mistake and if I would be so good as to send it BACK,
they'd send me a correct copy. This I did, incurring another DM50 in
postage costs from Germany -> U.K., but what the heck, in for a penny
in for a pound, as they say..  Three more months passed.  Numerous
phone calls. Package somehow now stated as missing in shipping and
receiving. I'm out L125. More phone calls. Postal records are tracked
down. Finally talk to someone who says that the mystery package has
been located and I've been granted a "refund". Oh. I wanted MINIX, not
the money? Well, we could certainly start the order process over again
from the beginning if I wanted..  Ahem. "No thanks, " says I, I've
learned my lesson (and still have yet to see any sign of that
"refund", not to mention the DM50 I'm out for postage). Color me an
unsatisfied customer, eh?

 So. I finally went out last week and purchased a copy from a local
store for DM298, actually a bit cheaper than the british "direct from
PH" price (about DM75 cheaper). Fancy that. Pity it took as long as it
did to get into the stores or I could have done that in the first
place.

 Get it home, boot it up, GRONK. Hmm. Yup, kernel definately blown.
Good think I'd read about that in advance, eh? Sort of a pity that the
thing didn't even come with an errata slip (they had over six months
to stick one in) though - what if I'd been Joe Blow off the street without
USENET access? I'd be more than a bit upset, I daresay.

 Download new kernel that Steven was so kind as to post to the net and
bring it up. Yippe! Boots! Hmmm. Better back up them there disks.
Lesse, use transfer -f to format disks (so says the manual), then
diskcopy.  Zilch. Diskcopy reports errors left right up and down.
Check diskettes for media errors (and these are brand-new Sony 2DD
diskettes). None.  Hmmmmm(!). How am I going to duplicate these damn
things??  Try a software nibble copier - no good. Disks "appear" to be
copied, but root disk copy loads veeery slowly and then hangs. This
doesn't happen with original, so we're hosed there. Then I try a
*hardware assisted* copier (the Syncro Express). NO GO! Same results,
in fact. Finally, in desperation, I try the nibble copier again. It
works! Hmmmmmmm!! Try long and laborious elimination-trial process
that I won't go into here (except that it took all night) that finally
reveals that (for me, at least), disk can ONLY be copied if the Syncro
Express is used first to "format" the disk and then the nibble copier
is used to lay down the data. For some reason, neither one alone does
the trick. Sigh. Anyway, no matter, the thing works and I have my
backups.. Time to TEST it. cd /usr/test... /usr/test? Where is /usr/test?
Mentioned in the manual, in the AMIGA section (no, I haven't gone into
the Macintosh section by mistake), but it just ain't there. Double sigh.
Oh well, let's evaluate this thing anyway.. Response isn't the zippiest,
but it sort of works..

Let's do a "ps", that should be interesting..

2 pages of "processes" roll by, almost all with horribly bogus values.
What's going on here? How do I see if a getty is running or not?
Yeargh!

kermit? Yes! It works! I can log into my other unix machine! 9600
baud max, but hey, I can live with that.. Um.. Can't I? No I can't. The thing
is slower than molasses in January! I can type 10 characters, count
to 3, and there they are! All at once! Output speed looks to be
around 1200 baud, with a tailwind. Catting a page of text causes kermit
to reject the last 3rd of the output (2/3 of the page prints, then
nothing). What the !$@%#@!! is going on here?? I can get 19200 baud
SUSTAINED INPUT into the amiga with AZCOMM (and that's under AmigaDOS
with several other things running), so I know the machine's got the
woof to do it, even with multi-tasking going on.

What is Minix doing on the serial port between reads? Calculating PI?!?
I'm running only ONE THING!!

[Editors note: We beg the reader's forebearance while the author of
this article, suffering the effects of over 6 months of accumulated
minix-related stress, has a minor nervous breakdown. We sincerely
regret the inconvenience.]

ARGHH!! SCREEAM! WAIL! GNASH! EYAAAAAAAAAAEEYAEEYYAAAA!!!! CLAW REND RIP
SLASH! STOMP! YEEEEEYAAAAAAAAAEERGRGGGHHH!!!!! GGGGGGGGHHHHHHHNNNNN.....!!
WHIMPER... SOB... moan...

[ We're back. Thanks again. - Ed ]

Ah.. Wheew! I feel a lot better now. How much do I owe ya, doc?

Now that I've gotten that out of my system, let me be the _first_
to correct myself and say "I know this isn't BSD 4.4 BSD here
and what do I expect for DM300, VMS compatability??" I also don't
want to cast aspersions on the developers, some of whom I've entered
into friendly correspondence with over the last few months and
would hate to offend. I do feel, however, that this release leaves
a few things to be desired. In hopes of rectifing this situation
as much as possible, I have the following questions:

1. What's with the horrible serial performance? I was actually sort of
   hoping to do SLIP'y style stuff over it, given the lack of direct
   hard disk support and the fact that my other Unix machines have disk
   space aplenty (as well as various useful forms of ancillary backup media
   attached). I have no Ethernet for the Amiga, so serial looks like _it_.

2. What's with things like ps, and this legendary "test" directory?

3. Why Elvis and not Stevie? Stevie seems to be much more vi-like, from
   what I've seen. And it's free.

4. What's this ELLE, um, editor? It's just close enough to Emacs to make
   you think you know what you're doing until you actually try to
   do something with it.  Why not simply link elle to /bin/rm and save
   the user the trouble of wiping out his files more painfully?
   Ok, ok, I'm sorry, that was a cheap shot. But seriously, I think
   "mg" (or uEmacs) and "stevie" would make a much better pair than
   these other two rather less standard utilities (and Minix does go on
   a bit about "standards", so I know *someone* thinks they're important).

   For me, at least, ELLE now occupies the great bit-bucket in the sky.
   A shame, since it could have been compatible (^S for "fork a shell?",
   ^W to write the file? C'mon!)

5. Given that the serial driver can be given the appropriate laxatives
   to speed it up, has anyone done a simple "file server" client
   that ports easily to Unix? I can easily see a very simplistic (but useful)
   NFS implementation build around a few simple message types between
   a device driver (/dev/snfs?) and this client. The AMOEBA stuff looks
   also interesting, but I don't know how much "amoeba-ness" has to be
   present at the other end to get it to work. I'd naturally like to interfere
   with my running (production) Unix boxes as little as possible. Simple
   user mode clients hanging off a serial channel I can easily live with -
   kernel tweaks or really complicated Amoeba file server clients I can
   do without at the moment.

6. Does a format utility exist under Minix? I can't find one.. I would
   hate to have to shutdown minix and reboot with the AmigaDOS boot disk
   just to run BOOT:c/transfer -f everytime I decide I need to make a
   temporary filesystem.

7. I have 2.5MB of memory in my Amiga. I'd like more of it to be used
   for the root file system so I could have a larger /tmp. Ideally, I'd
   like it to grow dynamically, competing with processes for memory, but
   I realize that this might be a bit much to ask for. Simply being able
   to resize it to another fixed size would be nice.

8. There is no question number 8. 7 is enough for one posting.

			Many thanks, vielen danke, etc etc.

					Jordan

--
			PCS Computer Systeme GmbH, Munich, West Germany
	UUCP:		pyramid!pcsbst!jkh jkh@meepmeep.pcs.com

guineau@wjg.enet.dec.com (W. John Guineau) (02/03/91)

> My efforts to join the ranks of Amiga Minix users have not been
> easy, I'm afraid.

I can greatly sympothize (sp?) with you about the perils of Amiga Minix.

However I do have great faith in Steve Reiz and co. that they are hard at work
making AMinix work reliably. Steve has already posted a hard disk driver for
the commodore controllers. Pentice Hall is another story...

I'm still hoping someone will get the time to do 680x0 support. I've tried
but the floppy reliability problems in the original and first patched versions
of Minix make it immpossible for me to do *anything*. I couldn't even get the
test suite to compile without read/write errors trashing my floppies. Maybe
the recent stuff Steve posted will work better...

The only comfort I can give you is around diskette formatting. Minix File
systems require IBM format on the media. You need to format the floppys on a
PC in 720K format first (or use MSH on the Amiga - works great).

The transfer utility is for moving files between AmigaDOS and Minix. You must
use the Amiga side to format floppies (transfer -f). Moving only one file
is not so bad if you use tar to pack a few together.

--
W. John Guineau                         grep meaning life | more
Digital Equipment Corporation

sreiz@cs.vu.nl (Steven Reiz) (02/05/91)

jkh@bambam.pcs.com (Jordan K. Hubbard) writes:

[problems with purchasing minix deleted...]

> Download new kernel that Steven was so kind as to post to the net and
>bring it up. Yippe! Boots! Hmmm. Better back up them there disks.
                     ^^^^^^       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                     Good!        Even better :-)

Please note that a more recent version of the kernel can be ftp-ed from
ftp.cs.vu.nl, directory /pub/sreiz/minix, file latest_aminix.lzh.
It fixes some problems with floppy drives, which might prevent the
problems you had in copying the disks.

>Lesse, use transfer -f to format disks (so says the manual), then
>diskcopy.  Zilch. Diskcopy reports errors left right up and down.
[Jordan was finally able to copy the disks using commercial copiers]

The BOOT disk is an amiga disk, you can copy it with any amiga copy
program, even with the DiskCopy program that comes with your Amiga...
The other disks are basically MSDOS format disks (with a different
filesystem).

>backups.. Time to TEST it. cd /usr/test... /usr/test? Where is /usr/test?

Sorry, we accidently left the test binaries out. The test sources are included
though, you might consider compiling them to be the first test :-)

>Let's do a "ps", that should be interesting..
>2 pages of "processes" roll by, almost all with horribly bogus values.
>What's going on here? How do I see if a getty is running or not?

I'm not sure what the problem with ps is, but I am under the impression that
ST minix also has this problem. There is, of course, always good old
ctrl-alt-F1, which should dump the process table.

>kermit? Yes! It works! I can log into my other unix machine! 9600
>baud max, but hey, I can live with that.. Um.. Can't I? No I can't. The thing
>is slower than molasses in January! I can type 10 characters, count
>What is Minix doing on the serial port between reads? Calculating PI?!?
>I'm running only ONE THING!!

I think that this problem is inherent in the current implementation of minix,
which is a bit slow in some areas. Every character that goes through the
serial line causes an interrupt. The handling of these interrupts is done
very well by the Amiga OS, and not so well by minix. I am pretty sure
that this performance can be boosted by using buffering of characters
on a lower level (in the routine which catches the serial interrupt).
In the current implementation the serial task will be scheduled for
every character coming in or going out.

>3. Why Elvis and not Stevie? Stevie seems to be much more vi-like, from
>   what I've seen. And it's free.

Elvis is free as well, and better than stevie (from what I've heard),
there may be a more recent version of Elvis than the one distributed,
though.

>4. What's this ELLE, um, editor? It's just close enough to Emacs to make
>   you think you know what you're doing until you actually try to
>..
>   Ok, ok, I'm sorry, that was a cheap shot. But seriously, I think
>   "mg" (or uEmacs) and "stevie" would make a much better pair than
>..

Elle might give you the ability to rebind keys, i'm not sure about it,
though. Microemacs 3.8 can be compiled very easily under minix, I know
because I did it. I'm not going to post it, though, because I used
non-standard keybindings, and I'm not sure if I can endure another
one of these flames of yours :-)
I'm currently trying to compile mg3abeta on our suns here, if that succeeds
i plan on trying a minix version as well. You might want to check out
microemacs 3.10, though.

>5. Given that the serial driver can be given the appropriate laxatives
>   to speed it up, has anyone done a simple "file server" client
>   that ports easily to Unix? I can easily see a very simplistic (but useful)

The most probable candidate for this is UUCP.

>6. Does a format utility exist under Minix? I can't find one.. I would

Sorry, no. Well, it does exist, but it doesn't work because the current
floppy driver doesn't support it.

>7. I have 2.5MB of memory in my Amiga. I'd like more of it to be used
>   for the root file system so I could have a larger /tmp. Ideally, I'd
>   like it to grow dynamically, competing with processes for memory, but
>   I realize that this might be a bit much to ask for. Simply being able
>   to resize it to another fixed size would be nice.

Dynamic resizing, though very attractive, would be very un-minix, i'm
afraid. You can create a root disk of a different size, though, even larger
than the physical size (720 kb), and boot from it, to get the effect
that I think you're looking for? I believe that the exact procedure to be
followed is explained in the manual under the heading 'increasing the size
of the ram disk'.

Regards,

        Steven Reiz

guineau@wjg.enet.dec.com (W. John Guineau) (02/06/91)

In article <8960@star.cs.vu.nl>, sreiz@cs.vu.nl (Steven Reiz) writes:
|> From: sreiz@cs.vu.nl (Steven Reiz)
|> Newsgroups: comp.os.minix
|> Subject: Re: Some initial impressions of Amiga MINIX
|>
|> jkh@bambam.pcs.com (Jordan K. Hubbard) writes:
|>
|> [problems with purchasing minix deleted...]
|>
|> > Download new kernel that Steven was so kind as to post to the net and
|> >bring it up. Yippe! Boots! Hmmm. Better back up them there disks.
|>                      ^^^^^^       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|>                      Good!        Even better :-)
|>
|> Please note that a more recent version of the kernel can be ftp-ed from
|> ftp.cs.vu.nl, directory /pub/sreiz/minix, file latest_aminix.lzh.
|> It fixes some problems with floppy drives, which might prevent the
|> problems you had in copying the disks.

This is great that you put the fixes up for ftp!  Could you put some
kind of version in the file name so we can tell what the 'latest' really is?

Also, I tried to ftp to ftp.cs.vu.nl but it kicke me out saying:

	/usr2/wjg% ftp ftp.cs.vu.nl
	Connected to star.cs.vu.nl.
	220 star.cs.vu.nl FTP server (SunOS 4.1) ready.
	Name (ftp.cs.vu.nl:wjg): ftp
	530 User ftp unknown.
	Login failed.

--
W. John Guineau                         grep meaning life | more
Digital Equipment Corporation
guineau@wjg.enet.dec.com   or   wjg@wpi.wpi.edu

tsarna@polar.bowdoin.edu (Tyler Sarna) (02/07/91)

Speaking of ftp.cs.vu.nl... it doesn't work. It claims user ftp
is unknown. I know this *used* to work, as I did it before.

And I *REALLY* *REALLY* want an AmigaMINIX with working floppy
access too!

------///------------------------------------------------------------
     /// Tyler "Ty" Sarna            E-Mail: tsarna@polar.bowdoin.edu
 \\\///    "...from France, Iraq, and other Arab nations..." - CNN
--\XX/---------------------------------------------------------------

sater@cs.vu.nl (Hans van Staveren) (02/07/91)

In article <43941@nigel.ee.udel.edu> tsarna@polar.bowdoin.edu (Tyler Sarna) writes:
>Speaking of ftp.cs.vu.nl... it doesn't work. It claims user ftp
>is unknown. I know this *used* to work, as I did it before.

An operating system upgrade here led to a minor snafu.
It is corected and anonymous ftp to ftp.cs.vu.nl should once again work.

As they say:

	we apologize for the inconvenience

harris@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Rik Harris) (02/10/91)

tsarna@polar.bowdoin.edu (Tyler Sarna) writes:

>Speaking of ftp.cs.vu.nl... it doesn't work. It claims user ftp
>is unknown. I know this *used* to work, as I did it before.
try user 'anonymous'  this is what I always use, and it works on
ftp.cs.vu.nl.

rik.
--
Rik Harris - rik@sola.fcit.monash.edu.au or harris@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au
who died of administration on the 20th of December 1990