[comp.os.minix] Strange behaviour of mkfs in Amiga Minix

peterc@softway.sw.oz.au (Peter Chubb) (02/11/91)

 I obtained Amiga Minix last week from Prentice-Hall in Australia.
 After fixing minor problems with the boot disc (the copy of minix.img
 had a bad sector, so I used minix.img.bu), I wanted to create some
 file systems.  I used messyfmt from the MSH1.30 product to format 720K
 9 sector discs for MS-DOS, then rebooted with minix.

 mkfs /dev/dd1 720

 seemed to access drive 1, then complained that it couldn't access
 sector 719.

 I tried another disc, and this time mkfs dumped core.  I looked at the
 mkfs binary, and it was truncated to around 11k.  Restored  a much
 larger mkfs from the backup, then tried again -- similar behaviour.

 OK, thought I, I'll recompiled mkfs, and put some instrumentation in
 to see what's going on.  Needed a new empty filesystem to do this, of
 course -- rebooted Amigados, used diskcopy and msh to copy one of the
 source disks, rebooted minix, mounted the copy, rm -r *, then go
 through the palaver necessary to extract the mkfs source from the
 archive, and start compiling.  No go.  Syntax errors galore.

 Turns out that NAME_MAX is only defined if _POSIX_SOURCE is defined.
 Try again., with _POSIX_SOURCE defined.  This time, the compiled
 complains about a perfectly innocent sizeof (*sup) on or near line
 290.  Replaced this with sizeof (struct super_block) (or whatever --
 can't remember exactly here), and all compiled cleanly, to exhibit the
 same behaviour as the original binary.

 Also, there are several things commented out with
 #if (MACHINE == ATARI)
 that I think perhaps should include AMIGA, etc, too.

 Can anyone help me?  Is there something wrong with the floppy device,
 or something?  Has mkfs never been compiled on an Amiga?

 Yours in anticipation,
				- Peter Chubb

Softway Pty Ltd, P.O. Box 305, Strawberry Hills, NSW 2012, AUSTRALIA
Phone: +61 2 698 2322;       Fax: +61 2 699 9174;     Telex: AA27987
Internet: peterc@softway.oz.au	   UUCP: ...!uunet!softway.oz!peterc

sreiz@cs.vu.nl (Steven Reiz) (02/12/91)

peterc@softway.sw.oz.au (Peter Chubb) writes:
> mkfs /dev/dd1 720
> seemed to access drive 1, then complained that it couldn't access
> sector 719.

It seems that you might benefit from the latest version of amiga minix,
which fixes some bugs in the floppy task. You can ftp it from
ftp.cs.vu.nl [130.37.24.6], directory /pub/sreiz/minix.
Please give it a try, it has helped other people who had similar problems.

> OK, thought I, I'll recompiled mkfs, and put some instrumentation in
> to see what's going on.  Needed a new empty filesystem to do this, of
>[...]
> archive, and start compiling.  No go.  Syntax errors galore.

Did you use the original Makefile?

> Also, there are several things commented out with
> #if (MACHINE == ATARI)
> that I think perhaps should include AMIGA, etc, too.

You're right, it should probably be #if (ENDIANITY == BIG) or something like
that.

> Can anyone help me?  Is there something wrong with the floppy device,
> or something?  Has mkfs never been compiled on an Amiga?

I hope so. Probably, yes. No, it hasn't. All the commands have been compiled
on an Atari ST running minix 1.5, with the original atari minix makefiles.
That should not be the problem, though.

Regards,

		Steven Reiz

tsarna@polar.bowdoin.edu (Tyler Sarna) (02/13/91)

In comp.os.minix, Steven Reiz <sreiz%CS.VU.NL@VM1.NoDak.EDU> writes:

> It seems that you might benefit from the latest version of amiga minix,
> which fixes some bugs in the floppy task. You can ftp it from
> ftp.cs.vu.nl [130.37.24.6], directory /pub/sreiz/minix.
> Please give it a try, it has helped other people who had similar problems.

Could you make diffs/sources for the floppy driver changes ONLY
availible? I would really like to have reliable floppy access,
but because there are no sources included with latest_aminix.lzh
and because of either 020/hard disk icomptatibility with my
system, I can't use the supplied minix.img. I realize the hard
disk driver is still in beta, but the floppy changes are "done",
right? At the very least, floppy reliability can't get any WORSE
than it is now [1/2 :-)]

------///------------------------------------------------------------
     /// Tyler "Ty" Sarna            E-Mail: tsarna@polar.bowdoin.edu
 \\\///         "So you see, the overhead gets underfoot..."
--\XX/---------------------------------------------------------------

sreiz@cs.vu.nl (Steven Reiz) (02/13/91)

tsarna@polar.bowdoin.edu (Tyler Sarna) writes:
>Could you make diffs/sources for the floppy driver changes ONLY
>availible? I would really like to have reliable floppy access,
>but because there are no sources included with latest_aminix.lzh
>and because of either 020/hard disk icomptatibility with my
>system, I can't use the supplied minix.img. I realize the hard

Good point, other people have complained about it as well. We will
try to produce YANAMV (yet another new amiga minix version) ASAP,
which will let you boot minix, even if it doesn't work with your
harddisk. I think that that's better than having two versions, one
with the harddisk task, and one without.

>disk driver is still in beta, but the floppy changes are "done",
>right? At the very least, floppy reliability can't get any WORSE
>than it is now [1/2 :-)]

I sure hope so! We will produce the source/diffs for our changes as well,
as soon as we're satisfied with them.

Regards,

	Steven Reiz

tsarna@polar.bowdoin.edu (Tyler Sarna) (02/14/91)

In comp.os.minix, Steven Reiz <sreiz%CS.VU.NL@VM1.NoDak.EDU> writes:

> tsarna@polar.bowdoin.edu (Tyler Sarna) writes:
> >Could you make diffs/sources for the floppy driver changes ONLY
> >availible? I would really like to have reliable floppy access,
> >but because there are no sources included with latest_aminix.lzh
> >and because of either 020/hard disk icomptatibility with my
> >system, I can't use the supplied minix.img. I realize the hard
>
> Good point, other people have complained about it as well. We will
> try to produce YANAMV (yet another new amiga minix version) ASAP,
> which will let you boot minix, even if it doesn't work with your
> harddisk. I think that that's better than having two versions, one
> with the harddisk task, and one without.

Great. Did you include Andy Michael's amiga q&d mpx.s patch for
010/020 compatibility? Also, the hard disk task should look for
the first Commodore *HARD DISK CONTROLLER* board, not just the
first C= board, since anyone with a C= A2620 like myself will
probably get bashed because the wini task will think it's found
the hard disk. You can check a board type field as well as the
manufacturer field in the autoconfig list to accomplish this.

Keep up the good work!