[comp.os.minix] Shells and UUCP problem

waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org (Fred 'The Rebel' van Kempen) (02/15/91)

In article <141@acestes.UUCP>, paradis@acestes.UUCP (Jim Paradis) wrote:
>>> What shells exist for MINIX?
>
>> sh clam ksh marvin emacs [?!]
>
> There's also "bash", GNU's "bourne-again" shell; it's sort of a
> mish-mosh of sh and [t]csh.  I ported it to MINIX-386 and it runs
> great, but like other GNU software it's BIG.  It's too big to
> run under regular PC-MINIX...

Someone from NLMUG, Miquel van Smoorenburg <miquels@drinkel.nl.mugnet.org>,
is working on the new POSIXized shell for MINIX.

The thing will be entirely "feature-selecteable", to make many people
happy with the same shell.  Some of the ones implemented at present are:

- command line history
- command line editing
- builtin shell functions (a la "ll() { /bin/ls -lg $* ; }" )
- decent CDPATH, MAIL, MAILCHECK and such support (including
  very nice "PS1" features)
- many, many bugs were fixed
- buiiltin commands can now have their I/O redirected, which was
  impossible up 'till now.

Work being done right now (by yours truly):

- Re-format the shell's source layout; it should match the famous
  MSS (MINIX Style Sheet, as per AST) layout used in the rest of
  the system.

- Make it "Atari-foolproof", i.e. fixing the obvious pointer and
  header file inclusion problems.

After this is done (probebly end of this weekend) Miquel will start
changing the shell to make it use the system's standard I/O library.
Currently, the shell does its own I/O buffering on top of the raw
system calls.

Finally, "restricted shell" mode will be added; since some of us
need that in a shell... :-)

This shell will be as much POSIX as possible when it will be released
on this network.

> [speaking of request, has anybody fixed the "premature shutdown" bug
> in uucp yet?  It's driving me bonquers... but I don't want to reach
> in and fix it if someone else is already doing so...]

Yes.  UUCP has been through a LOT of changes the past year.  I even got
the promised cdiff-set some time ago... hurray for that! :-)

Anyway, I will be spending the entire month of March doing the final
cleanup of UUCP/4E, which will be sent to a selected group of people
for beta-testing.  Please send requests for beta-testing to:

	UUCP Support Desk <wuucp@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org>

and tell me what your system configuration is.  It has to be tested on
a very wide range of systems before I send it out on the Net...

Fred.