[comp.os.minix] BADBLOCKS PH 1.5

ssharkey@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Scott A Sharkey) (02/17/91)

I just put up PH 1.5 (is it 1.5.10??), and I think the badblocks program
is still screwed up when it comes to bad blocks greater than 8K.  Any,
I remember reading about problems with this a while ago, and used de to
take a look after running readall and badblocks.  It doesn;t look like
the zone bitmaps are right to me.  Does anyone have a version that they
KNOW works?  Can you send me a copy?  Thanks.  -Scott

--
Scott Sharkey				A Guest of The Ohio State University
LANshark Systems

kjh@pollux.usc.edu (Kenneth J. Hendrickson) (02/17/91)

In article <1991Feb16.190126.10955@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu> ssharkey@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Scott A Sharkey) writes:
>I just put up PH 1.5 (is it 1.5.10??), and I think the badblocks program
>is still screwed up when it comes to bad blocks greater than 8K.

I just used badblocks on a 48k partition.  It worked flawlessly.  I
checked.

However, for block numbers greater than 32767, badblocks reported a
negative block number during the verification stage.  I didn't look at
the code, but I'd bet that signed integers were used where unsigned
integers would have been more appropriate.

I'm using Minix 1.5.10.

--
favourite oxymorons:   student athlete, military justice, mercy killing
Ken Hendrickson N8DGN/6       kjh@usc.edu      ...!uunet!usc!pollux!kjh