[comp.os.minix] Minix 1.5 Demo

newton@cs.utexas.edu (Peter Newton) (02/16/91)

I just obtained the PC Minix demo disk off the net** and gave it a
try.  It was quite neat and very well done.  However, the machine I
have at home is a Mac, not a PC.  Is there a demo version for the Mac?
I'd like to try it there before ordering.

 ** Someone recently asked how to get the demo off the the internet
machine and onto a PC floppy.  Here is my (non-)answer.  I used an
IBM RT running AIX.  On it, dd if=demo-disk-file of=/dev/rfd0 did
the job.  I know nothing aboes MS DOS.
 ----
Peter Newton
Computer Sciences, TAY 2.124       (512) 471-9735
University of Texas at Austin      newton@cs.utexas.edu
Austin, TX  78712-1188          ...{uunet|gatech|ames}!cs.utexas.edu!newton

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (02/17/91)

In article <275@burr.cs.utexas.edu> newton@cs.utexas.edu (Peter Newton) writes:

>I just obtained the PC Minix demo disk off the net** and gave it a
>try.  It was quite neat and very well done.  However, the machine I
>have at home is a Mac, not a PC.  Is there a demo version for the Mac?

Keep your pants on.  Yes, I am setting up a demo disk for FTP, but life
is simpler if people wait until I announce it.  This increases the
probability that it works.  We are working on a Mac version.  If you
absolutely can't wait, there are demo disks available from Prentice-Hall
for the IBM, Atari, and Macintosh in stock now for $10.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)