[comp.os.minix] Getting boot image onto disk under MS-DOS

wkt@rodos2.cs.adfa.oz.au (Warren Toomey) (02/20/91)

This is a recollection from some email I received a while ago.

To get a Minix boot image onto a floppy under MS-DOS:

>debug
-n image.bin		Name the file
-l			Load it, it starts at cs:100
-w cs:100 0 0 2c4	Write from address cs:100 to sector 0 on
			drive 0 (A:), write out 0x2c4 sectors (==360K)
-q

N.B. I haven't tried this, but after reading the debug manual, it seems
a valid method.

Please send success/fail stories to comp.os.minix, please!

        Warren Toomey VK1XWT, losing CPUs.
      Deep in the bowels of ADFA Comp Science.
`I'm a bit thingy at the moment' - Anaemic friend.

cur022%cluster@ukc.ac.uk (Bob Eager) (02/21/91)

In article <2286@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au>, wkt@rodos2.cs.adfa.oz.au (Warren Toomey) writes:
> This is a recollection from some email I received a while ago.
>>debug
> -n image.bin		Name the file
> -l			Load it, it starts at cs:100
> -w cs:100 0 0 2c4	Write from address cs:100 to sector 0 on
> 			drive 0 (A:), write out 0x2c4 sectors (==360K)
> -q

Nearly right. I don't think the length of the write can be specified like
this, though; it has to be in the CX register.

    -rcx
    :2c4

just before the w command.
Bob Eager                | University of Kent at Canterbury