[comp.os.minix] Problems compiling src/commands for V1.5

greg@mobius.Viewlogic.COM (Gregory Larkin) (02/19/91)

Hi all,

Isn't "-T." supposed to tell all passes of a compilation to write
temporary files in the current directory??  I am trying to compile
all of the V1.5 commands.  A few of the programs appear not to link.

I try this:

	cc -F -T. -D_MINIX -D_POSIX_SOURCE -S compress.c

And get:

	No space on root device (RAM disk)
	cmi4.s, 7: expr syntax err

I think asld should be writing temp files in the current directory if
I specify "-T.". Am I missing something?

How should I go about increasing my RAM disk size, if that's the only
option?  Ideally, I would like the RAM disk to empty, as my root file
system lives on /dev/hd3.  Can I skip the step where /dev/hd3 gets read
into memory?

Thanks,
--
Greg Larkin (ASIC Engineer)
Viewlogic Systems, Inc. (The CAE Company)

peter@pa3ebv.nl.mugnet.org (Peter J. de Vrijer) (02/21/91)

In article <1991Feb18.145840@mobius.Viewlogic.COM>, greg@mobius.Viewlogic.COM (Gregory Larkin) wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Isn't "-T." supposed to tell all passes of a compilation to write
> temporary files in the current directory??
Indeed, all passes of compilation. But that seems to exclude the
pass of asld. So thats where your problems arise. I have found no way to
persuade asld to use anything else than the /tmp dir.

>I am trying to compile
> all of the V1.5 commands.  A few of the programs appear not to link.

> I think asld should be writing temp files in the current directory if
> I specify "-T.". Am I missing something?
See above. A solution would be to mount a large enough file system on
the /tmp dir before starting compilation. asld will be slower of course
but there would be room enough.

> How should I go about increasing my RAM disk size, if that's the only
> option?  Ideally, I would like the RAM disk to empty, as my root file
> system lives on /dev/hd3.  Can I skip the step where /dev/hd3 gets read
> into memory?
Sorry, got no answer to this one. Perhaps anyone else?

Regards from Peter.

Peter J. de Vrijer           |  UUCP: peter@pa3ebv.nl.mugnet.org
Tel: +31 38 660735           |  packet radio: peter@pa3ebv.ampr.org
Ministerlaan 9               |
8014 PL Zwolle               |  "And yet I'm happy,
The Netherlands              |   I can't figure it out."     Snoopy

cechew@sol1.cs.monash.edu.au (Earl Chew) (02/22/91)

peter@pa3ebv.nl.mugnet.org (Peter J. de Vrijer) writes:

>In article <1991Feb18.145840@mobius.Viewlogic.COM>, greg@mobius.Viewlogic.COM (Gregory Larkin) wrote:

>> How should I go about increasing my RAM disk size, if that's the only
>> option?  Ideally, I would like the RAM disk to empty, as my root file
>> system lives on /dev/hd3.  Can I skip the step where /dev/hd3 gets read
>> into memory?
>Sorry, got no answer to this one. Perhaps anyone else?

Use shoelace.

Earl
--
Earl Chew, Dept of Computer Science, Monash University, Australia 3168
EMAIL: cechew@bruce.cs.monash.edu.au PHONE: 03 5655778 FAX: 03 5655146