[comp.os.minix] rmaker on MacMINIX?

Lewis_P@cc.curtin.edu.au (Peter Lewis) (02/20/91)

Hi All,
   Has anyone got rmaker for MacMINIX to work?  I tried to build the
macboot appliaction, and had no trouble compiling the kernel,fs,mm,init,
but when rmaker ran, it gave me an out of memory error.  I tried chmeming
it, but it kept giving me the out of mem error until I chmemed it above
300K, at which point it started crashing into macsbug with an illegal
instruction trap.  Is there a maximum on the value you can chmem?  I have a
4MB Mac Plus, in mono-finder (has anyone got MacMINIX to work with
Multi-Finder (its version 1.5 BTW)?  Mine crashes immidiately if MF is
enabled), and MINIX says I have 3 Meg available.  I chmemed rmaker up to
1.5M, to no avail.
   I had a look at the documentation (read: source code) for rmaker, and it
looks like it parses the whole file and then creates the resources.  I
tried using "macwrite NEWmacboot.kernel <kernel", but it stopped after
about 50 bytes (on a 255 byte, is that treated as an EOF char?).

Anyone have any ideas? suggestions?  Otherwise I'll have to delve deep into
rmaker and see if I can figure out what it does (doesn't?),

TIA,
   Peter.
--
Disclaimer:Curtin & I have an agreement:Neither of us listen to either of us.
*-------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+-------*

twosheds@pancake.cray.com (Jay Vollmer) (02/21/91)

I haven't tried rebuilding so I don't know about any Rmaker problems.
However, I have had no trouble running MacMinix 1.5 under MulFinder6.0.
I did have trouble running it under MultiFinder6.1b9.  If that's what
you're doing, you might want to fall-back.
Incidentally, MacMinix runs quite nicely under 7.0b1.  If you have yet to
experience 7.0...  Let me tell you, it's GRRRRREAT!

 | __  ______  _________       J.C. Vollmer        _________  ______  __ |
 | __ |      | _________    Macintosh virtuoso     _________ |   |  | __ |
 | __ |      | _________    twosheds@cray.com      _________ |___|  | __ |
 | __ |______| _________ It is never as it seems!  _________ |______| __ |
 |_______________________________________________________________________|

Chris.Steketee@levels.sait.edu.au (02/23/91)

In article <7152.27c259f8@cc.curtin.edu.au>, Lewis_P@cc.curtin.edu.au (Peter Lewis) writes:
> Hi All,
>    Has anyone got rmaker for MacMINIX to work?  I tried to build the
> macboot appliaction, and had no trouble compiling the kernel,fs,mm,init,
> but when rmaker ran, it gave me an out of memory error.  I tried chmeming
> it, but it kept giving me the out of mem error until I chmemed it above
> 300K, at which point it started crashing into macsbug with an illegal

Well it wouldn't work for me at 200K and did at 1000K.  I've not tried to see
what the minimum workable value is.  I have 5 MB of memory, have set the heap
size to 500KB, and run under Finder, since I could never get Macminix to stay
up very long under Multifinder.

Hope this helps,
Chris