[comp.os.minix] BSD port to PC

MCKINNEY@uthscsa.edu (02/27/91)

- Mike Almquist (almquist@cis.udel.edu) writes:

>I've been playing with Minix for a while and am currently hacking
>out some perhaps useful code.  I was talking to a friend of mine
>recently and I said, "All that BSD PD code shouldn't go to waste - its a
>shame."  And his response was, "Well, I remeber a year or two ago
>someone ported the BSD code to a 386". Anyone know of this project?
>Anyone know where I might be able to get a looky at this beast?  Is
>it just rumor - anyone else hear about it?  Some going ons in the BSD
>port may prove useful to fellow Minix users.  Any info would be
>greatly appreciated.

The January 1991 (#172) issue of Dr. Dobbs Journal has an article on
this very subject. It is entitled "Porting UNIX to the 386: A practical
approach". The author is William Frederick Jolitz. The author suggests
that "those of you who can meet University of California requirements
should obtain a copy of 386BSD from the University of California". No
mention is given of what those requirements are. I have contacted
Jolitz but have not yet received a reply. The article lists his address as
"william@berkeley.edu" or "uunet!william". I would be interested if
anyone else knows anymore about this.

Jim McKinney (mckinney@uthscsa.edu)