[comp.os.minix] BSD for a 386 PC?

cgs@umd5.umd.edu (Chris G. Sylvain) (02/26/91)

In article <45693@nigel.ee.udel.edu> almquist@cis.udel.edu (Squish) writes:
> [...] BSD code to a 386". Anyone know of this project?
> Anyone know where I might be able to get a looky at this beast?

A great deal of information was published in the March 1991 issue of
_Dr. Dobb's Journal_ . An unauthorized excerpt follows:

============

   "According to Bill and Lynne Jolitz, the current status of the project is
that 386BSD has been merged into the 4.3BSD-Reno version of the Berkeley
Software Distribution, a work-in-progress version of the upcoming 4.4BSD
release. Due to the research orientation of BSD, updated versions are made
available from the University of California at Berkeley Computer Systems
Research Group (CSRG) at scheduled intervals. What follows is the current
official statement by the CSRG on the matter:

	   The 386BSD support will be available in February as part of
	an update of the 1989 Networking Release distribution. One very
	important fact to remember is, that although the 386BSD support
	itself is freely distributable, much of the rest of the operating
	system and utilities require proprietary source licenses.
	Therefore, the February distribution will NOT be a complete system
	and cannot be booted or run on a 386 machine. This distribution
	will only require a Berkeley license and distribution fee. Previous
	fees were approximately $500, but the actual fee has not yet been
	determined.
	   The 4.4BSD release is scheduled for the middle of 1991, and
	additional, freely redistributable support will be made available
	at that time.

   Since the CSRG is a research group, not all calls or e-mail can be
promptly answered, so we'll [_Dr. Dobb's_] try to keep you updated here in
the magazine.
   CSRG can be contacted via e-mail at "bsd.dist@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu", and
e-mail is preferred for complete and accurate updates. If you have any
specific questions or comments regarding 386BSD, Bill and Lynne ask that you
contact them directly via e-mail at "william@berkeley.edu"
or at "uunet!william".

					Jonathan Erickson
					editor-in-chief

					Dr. Dobb's Journal, March 1991
					entire contents copyright (c) 1991
					by M&T Publishing, Inc., unless
					otherwise noted on specific articles.
					All rights reserved.

On page 38 in the very same issue is "Porting UNIX[tm] to the 386: The
Standalone System" by William Frederick Jolitz and Lynne Greer Jolitz.
The article is subtitled "Creating a protected-mode standalone C programming
environment". The article is the third in a series. It includes fifteen code
listings which begin on page 76.

   "Bill was the principal developer of 2.8 and 2.9BSD and the chief architect
of National Semiconductor's GENIX. Lynne established TeleMuse, a market
research firm specializing in the telecommunications and electronics industry.
They can be contacted via e-mail at 'william@berkeley.edu' or at
'uunet!william'."

	The article bears "Copyright (c) 1990 TeleMuse".

============

   I just got my copy of Dr. Dobb's in the mail, so if you're interested in
386BSD --> go see your local purveyor of glossy printed matter.
--
--==---==---==--
Wabe: It goes a long way beyond a sundial on either side

berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) (02/27/91)

almquist@cis.udel.edu (Squish) writes:

>I've been playing with Minix for a while and am currently hacking out some
>perhaps useful code.  I was talking to a friend of mine recently and I said,
>"All that BSD PD code shouldn't go to waste - its a shame."  And his response
>was, "Well, I remeber a year or two ago someone ported the BSD code to a 386".
>Anyone know of this project?  Anyone know where I might be able to get a looky
>at this beast?  Is it just rumor - anyone else hear about it?  Some going ons
>in the BSD port may prove useful to fellow Minix users.  Any info would be
>greatly appreciated.

  If you're interested, Dr. Dobb's Journal just completed a 3 part article
covering BSD ports to 386. January through March 1991 are the issues. Might
take a look at that to start.

-e.b.

  Eric Berggren             |      "Life is a Turing Test;
  Computer Science/Eng.     |         We're all automatons!"
  berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu  |              -- (click, whir, buzz, chirp)

berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) (02/28/91)

>  If you're interested, Dr. Dobb's Journal just completed a 3 part article
>covering BSD ports to 386. January through March 1991 are the issues. Might
>take a look at that to start.

  Oops. I guess it does continue after that...