[comp.os.minix] Amiga Demo?

terry@braille.uwo.ca (Terry Cudney (519) 434-8100) (02/25/91)

Hi...

     Is there a demo of Aminix (minix for amiga) that is ftp-able
somewhere? Thanks.
--terry
/* terry@braille.uwo.ca
 * Terry Cudney Amistosa MicroWare 9 Durham Street, LONDON, Ontario, N5Y 2H9IL
 */

--

agodwin@acorn.co.uk (Adrian Godwin) (02/28/91)

In article <9102@star.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
>In article <2362@ria.ccs.uwo.ca> terry@braille.uwo.ca (Terry Cudney (519) 434-8100) writes:
>>     Is there a demo of Aminix (minix for amiga) that is ftp-able
>
>No.  It is technically impossible.  The demo disk is a merger of the boot
>and root disks.  For the Amiga, they use different recording techniques.
>Sorry.
>
>Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

A games magazine in the UK used to produce a cover-disc which could be read on
both Amiga and ST. I don't know how they fiddled it - perhaps track zero had
a 'sector '1' in both formats - but I think the ST ignores sector 0, like Minix's
fs does, and the Amiga only relies one one fixed block to describe the rest of
the disc's layout.

The resulting disc could be a pain to copy - and people seem to have quite a
bit of trouble creating even the PC demo disc - but it would be worth doing
for general booting, not just the demo disc. Quite a lot of old Amiga hard
discs don't auto-boot, so many users would appreciate a single-disc boot
even after they've written a hard-disc driver.

-adrian

Adrian Godwin                                        (agodwin@acorn.co.uk)