[comp.os.minix] recompiling 1.5.10.3

oddjob@oz.plymouth.edu (Andrew C. Stoffel) (02/21/91)

Well, thanks to all the people to told me how to get root to be my
harddisk :-). Unfortunately I have another problem .....

after making all of the fs,kernel,mm and lib directories (lib first) I
ran make in the tools directory..... It worked fine until build itself
tried to run... (I can't quote verbatim... it's at home on another machine)

I got a line telling me the sizes of assorted stuff.... then build
said something vaguely like
"Build: ../kernel/kernel.mix too big" and then make died. I've tried
it a couple times with different memory sizes (oops... except
increasing build's memory) and both before and after updating libc.a
to 1.5.10.3. got the same thing every time....

Can anybody help ??? I looked at build.c and found the line that
produces that kind of comment but I have no idea how it gets there (and
C is not my strong point or even close )

-Andy-
--
|"The Snark WAS a Boojum, you see!"|Good   : acs@unhd.unh.edu       |
|"Reality !?! Isn't that something |Better : ANDYS@psc.plymouth.edu |
|"The Snark WAS a Boojum, you see!"|Good   : acs@unhd.unh.edu       |
|"Reality !?! Isn't that something |Better : ANDYS@psc.plymouth.edu |
|    you sprinkle on ice ??"       |Best   : oddjob@oz.plymouth.edu |

Michael.Joswig@germany.sun.com (Michael Joswig (Vertriebsunterstuetzung Hamburg)) (02/22/91)

Hi Netters,

Andy wrote:

>>I got a line telling me the sizes of assorted stuff.... then build
>>said something vaguely like
>>"Build: ../kernel/kernel.mix too big" and then make died. I've tried
>>it a couple times with different memory sizes (oops... except
>>increasing build's memory) and both before and after updating libc.a
>>to 1.5.10.3. got the same thing every time....

Well I had the same problem. You don't need to increase the sizes of any program. What you should increase is the amount of free RAM. I made a second "root" Disk, containing only the for rebuilding really needed stuff. With
this smaller RamDisk I rebooted and made it perfectly.
(kernel.mix too big means "don't have the needed space to load it").

Hope (no: Think) this could help you, enjoy 1.5.10#3!!

Ciao,
     Michael.

geoffc@zebedee.uucp (Geoffrey Coan) (02/26/91)

In article <45470@nigel.ee.udel.edu> Michael.Joswig@germany.sun.com
(Michael Joswig (Vertriebsunterstuetzung Hamburg)) writes:
> >>I got a line telling me the sizes of assorted stuff.... then build
> >>said something vaguely like
> >>"Build: ../kernel/kernel.mix too big" and then make died. I've tried
> >>it a couple times with different memory sizes (oops... except
> >>increasing build's memory) and both before and after updating libc.a
> >>to 1.5.10.3. got the same thing every time....
>
> Well I had the same problem. You don't need to increase the sizes of any program. What you should increase is the amount of free RAM. I made a second "root" Disk, containing only the for rebuilding really needed stuff. With
> this smaller RamDisk I rebooted and made it perfectly.
> (kernel.mix too big means "don't have the needed space to load it").

I have just spent the last couple of days upgrading from vanilla 1.5.10 to
1.5.10.3.  The process went fairly painlessly (appart from having to type
all those "patch <xxxxx.c.cdif" commands) until I got to making the 1.5.10.3
kernel when I got the same error.

I have a 1Mb ST with 2 virtual consoles and NO RAM disk (shows 794Kb free on
startup) so there wasn't anything I could remove.  I tried chmem'ing
tools/build up by 20Kb (went up to 73026) and I was then able to make the
kernel OK and boot up 1.5.10.3 fine.

> Hope (no: Think) this could help you, enjoy 1.5.10#3!!
>
> Ciao,
>      Michael.

Certainly is nice, especially the virtual consoles.  Unfortunately I keep on
running out of memory now, probabally due to bits of 'cc' being chmem'd too
high - does anyone have any reccommendations as to what they should be set
(eg: /usr/lib/cem, etc).  Also, is there a proper backup program for MINIX;
I don't really like doing 'tar co /usr - | vol 720 /dev/dd0' because if vol
barfs due to a write error the whole backup is useless (and you can't do
incremental backups).

Cheers

Geoffrey
are you ready to SKYDIVE ??                                       Geoffrey Coan
well all right then, if you say so ...        ..!ukc!axion!tharr!zebedee!geoffc

<- UUCP'd from my ST via tharr; *free* UK public access to Usenet 0234 261804 ->

klamer@mi.eltn.utwente.nl (Klamer Schutte -- Universiteit Twente) (02/28/91)

In <4368018@zebedee.uucp> geoffc@zebedee.uucp (Geoffrey Coan) writes:

>I have just spent the last couple of days upgrading from vanilla 1.5.10 to
 Ouch! 'the last days' -- i did it on 1 night (20.00-23.00 type).
>1.5.10.3.  The process went fairly painlessly (appart from having to type
>all those "patch <xxxxx.c.cdif" commands) until I got to making the 1.5.10.3
 Try % cat *.cdif | patch -d <target-dir> next time
>kernel when I got the same error.

Klamer
--
Klamer Schutte
Faculty of electrical engineering -- University of Twente, The Netherlands

meulenbr@cst.prl.philips.nl (Frans Meulenbroeks) (02/28/91)

klamer@mi.eltn.utwente.nl (Klamer Schutte -- Universiteit Twente) writes:

]In <4368018@zebedee.uucp> geoffc@zebedee.uucp (Geoffrey Coan) writes:

]>I have just spent the last couple of days upgrading from vanilla 1.5.10 to
] Ouch! 'the last days' -- i did it on 1 night (20.00-23.00 type).
]>1.5.10.3.  The process went fairly painlessly (appart from having to type
]>all those "patch <xxxxx.c.cdif" commands) until I got to making the 1.5.10.3
] Try % cat *.cdif | patch -d <target-dir> next time
]>kernel when I got the same error.
Hmm. Interesting idea Klamer.
I always used
for i in *.c.cdif