[net.unix-wizards] <exiting> processes

Michael.Young@Cmu-10a (10/09/82)

From: Michael Wayne Young <Michael.Young@Cmu-10a>
Date:  8 October 1982 1334-EDT (Friday)
Recently, I ran into several such processes running around for my
login... the problem I had was that a write was waiting to complete
on the tty.  When the line re-connected, the output buffer flushed,
and the processes actually died (and init restarted a getty).  You
might want to have tty device drivers flush their output buffers
if they detect anomolous conditions (such as a signal change on the
RS232 line, in one of the various places), or if they haven't completed
for a long time.  [It is assumed that ANY write should complete
after a given period of time -- anyone who ^S's something is simply
holding things up -- people often use that to keep a line connected.]

			Michael