[comp.os.minix] Question about root file system under V1.5

greg@mobius.Viewlogic.COM (Gregory Larkin) (03/01/91)

Hi all,

First of all, thanks to all who helped me along the way to getting
V1.5 up and running.  I just got my V1.5 system running, although I'm
still using V1.3 commands!  soon enough...

Anyhow, the question:

I made a 13 meg file system on /dev/hd2 and a 32 meg filesystem on
/dev/hd6.  I copied the directories on the V1.3 root filesystem disk
to /dev/hd2.  I then mount /dev/hd6 on /usr for src tree, etc.

When I boot V1.5, I select /dev/hd2 as the root file system. (ram disk
is 0 blocks).  When I login and do a "df", I get:

/dev/ram: Can't read super block
/dev/hd6 ......

There is no entry for /dev/hd2.  Do I have access to the >12meg that
is still free on that partition? Or is it better to make a partition
that is only as big as the root filesystem and use the rest somewhere
else?

What does the message about /dev/ram mean? can it be removed?

Special question for Earl:  will shoelace cure all of this? :->  I do
intend to get it running soon enough.

All things in time....

Thanks for any help on this,
--
Greg Larkin (ASIC Engineer)
Viewlogic Systems, Inc. (The CAE Company)

cechew@sol1.cs.monash.edu.au (Earl Chew) (03/01/91)

greg@mobius.Viewlogic.COM (Gregory Larkin) writes:

>I made a 13 meg file system on /dev/hd2 and a 32 meg filesystem on
>/dev/hd6.  I copied the directories on the V1.3 root filesystem disk
>to /dev/hd2.  I then mount /dev/hd6 on /usr for src tree, etc.

>When I boot V1.5, I select /dev/hd2 as the root file system. (ram disk
>is 0 blocks).  When I login and do a "df", I get:

>/dev/ram: Can't read super block
>/dev/hd6 ......

>There is no entry for /dev/hd2.  Do I have access to the >12meg that
>is still free on that partition? Or is it better to make a partition
>that is only as big as the root filesystem and use the rest somewhere
>else?

>What does the message about /dev/ram mean? can it be removed?

Perhaps df is looking in /etc/mtab and finding old entries (especially for
/dev/ram as root). It can't read /dev/ram because you made it 0kb in size.
I can't see why it can't read /dev/hd6. Look at the contents of /etc/mtab to
see if it is consistent with you're current setup. You really should initialise
it every time you boot.

>Special question for Earl:  will shoelace cure all of this? :->

Special answer for Greg: No --- but you'll find your machine easier to boot.

>                                                                 I do
>intend to get it running soon enough.

Does that mean another round of questions? :-)

Good luck,

Earl
--
Earl Chew, Dept of Computer Science, Monash University, Australia 3168
EMAIL: cechew@bruce.cs.monash.edu.au PHONE: 03 5655778 FAX: 03 5655146