[comp.os.minix] Amiga Demo? + A590/2091 SCSI driver available

raymond@cs.vu.nl (Raymond Michiels) (03/01/91)

agodwin@acorn.co.uk (Adrian Godwin) writes:

>A games magazine in the UK used to produce a cover-disc which could be read on
>both Amiga and ST.

OK, to be honest: it should be possible for us to make such a demo disk. The
only problem is that once we've made the disk, Prentice-Hall should be able
to copy it. Considering what they've done to the original AmigaMINIX
distribution I don't think they can copy a floppy that contains AmigaDOS AND
PC tracks.

>The resulting disc could be a pain to copy [...]

and that's why we don't have an AmigaMINIX demo disk.

>[...] but it would be worth doing
>for general booting, not just the demo disc. Quite a lot of old Amiga hard
>discs don't auto-boot, so many users would appreciate a single-disc boot
>even after they've written a hard-disc driver.

invalid argument. Once you have written a hard disk driver (as I have...) and
your own hard disk in not auto-boot (as is the case with my A590 and 1.2 Amiga)
you only need a single floppy to boot MINIX: You boot AmigaDOS from a floppy,
you have the bootstrap loader and the minix.img file on an AmigaDOS partition
(so you don't need a floppy for that) and you also have a small partition
for your RAM disk (once again: no floppy needed).

	-Raymond.

PS: I'm also looking for B-testers for my NEW, IMPROVED A590/2091 hard disk
driver. Both interfaces ('XT' and SCSI) are supported. The new AmigaMINIX test
version should be available on ftp.cs.vu.nl in the pub/raymond directory
before the weekend.