[comp.os.minix] a few questions.

S90405184%HSEPM1.HSE.NL@cunyvm.cuny.edu (03/01/91)

Hello,

I hope I'm sending this to the right adress. (info-minix@udel.edu)
I'm not sure whether this adress is the target for all messages to the
minix list. Please tell me if I'm using the wrong one and give me the right
one. The reason is that the header on my mail sometimes get busted.

I think too that it's a good idea to make a separate list for sources.
I just subscribed yesterday and now already my mailbox was filled half
with uuencoded files only.

Now I also have a question. I guess you ppl get bored with this kind of
questions, but is there somewhere a place where I can get minix? I'm just
a poor student, so I don't have the money to buy it. I would prefer
some place where I don't need FTP, since my site does not support that.
Of course I can use bitftp, but I don't like that thing, it accounts for
a lot of overhead on the nets. And they already are overloaded.

Thank you all,
Jan Evert van Grootheest,
S90405184@HSEPM1.HSE.NL

CRAWFORD_B%PLU.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu (brian) (03/02/91)

Me too.  I can't afford it, but as a poor student, I would still like to get
ahold of a copy of it (I have an Atari ST).  I know there is a demo available
over FTP, but is the full system available over FTP?  Why does Minix, as
a developmental OS cost so much ($169 in the message I saw)?

brian

7103_2622@uwovax.uwo.ca (Eric Smith) (03/02/91)

In article <46263@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, CRAWFORD_B%PLU.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu (brian) writes:
> Me too.  I can't afford it, but as a poor student, I would still like to get
> ahold of a copy of it (I have an Atari ST).  I know there is a demo available
> over FTP, but is the full system available over FTP?  Why does Minix, as
> a developmental OS cost so much ($169 in the message I saw)?

$169 is a very low price for ANY OS -- try shopping around someday and you'll
find out. For an OS with complete source code, it's an incredible bargain.

If you can't afford minix, you can get MiNT for the Atari ST for free. It's
not as Unix-like as minix, but it is (mostly) TOS compatible, which may or
may not be an advantage :-). Both the sources and binaries are available for
FTP from atari.archive.umich.edu (in the "mint" directory). Be forewarned:
you get what you pay for. The source code is no-where near as nicely formatted
and commented as minix's, and it's likely a lot buggier. (On the plus side,
it's a *lot* faster than minix, since there's no message passing going on).
--
Eric R. Smith                     email:
Dept. of Mathematics            eric.smith@uwo.ca