[comp.os.minix] CFD: comp.os.minix.<machine>

kaba@acdhq.north.de (Kai Bartels) (02/24/91)

Hi!

What about creating subgroups that can hold minix-topics that are related
to a special hardware, like "Does minix run on my 386?" or "Is there a
drive available for my Amiga-harddrive-controller?" and so on?

Greetings, Kai
--------------------
Kai Bartels    | kaba@acdhq.UUCP      | The sound of bombs
Hudemuehler 37 | kaba@acdhq.north.de  | Has given way to childrens cries
D-2800 HB 41   | G14B@DHBRRZ41.BITNET |                      <Fischer-Z>
(0421)34636-13 |g14b@sie.rz.uni-bremen.de|------------------------------
bang: {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmehq!cbmger!acdhq!kaba

cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Conway Yee) (03/01/91)

In article <18baba4b.ARN1933@acdhq.north.de> kaba@acdhq.north.de writes:
>Hi!
>
>What about creating subgroups that can hold minix-topics that are related
>to a special hardware, like "Does minix run on my 386?" or "Is there a
>drive available for my Amiga-harddrive-controller?" and so on?

IMHO, having newsgroups like comp.os.minix.atari or comp.os.minix.mac
would tend to fragment comp.os.minix without much benefit.  Much of the
traffic here is not machine specific.  Besides, the goal should be to
make Minix as similar as possible between platforms- not to make machine
specific add ons.

A group like comp.os.minix.sources, however, would make sense.  It would
make the task of archiving sources a bit easier.  People who are not
interested in the sources do not have to read the group.

BTW, if you notice, much of the sources posted here tend not to be platform
specific.  Origami, the last big post, is an editor.  I would think that
origami couldn't care less where it is run.

					Conway Yee, N2JWQ
yee@ming.mipg.upenn.edu    (preferred)             231 S. Melville St.
cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (forwarded to above)    Philadelphia, Pa 19139
yee@bnlx26.nsls.bnl.gov    (rarely checked)        (215) 386-1312

overby@plains.NoDak.edu (Glen Overby) (03/02/91)

In article <18baba4b.ARN1933@acdhq.north.de> kaba@acdhq.north.de writes:
>What about creating subgroups that can hold minix-topics that are related
>to a special hardware, like "Does minix run on my 386?" or "Is there a
>drive available for my Amiga-harddrive-controller?" and so on?

... Again ...

This is not logical.  While there are many machine-dependent issues, many of
them have implications across ALL machines.  Minix is a Portable Operating
System, isn't it?  It runs on 4 processor platforms (Intel, NS32K, M68k,
SPARC) which is more than you can say for 95% of the operating systems out
there.

The two case questions you mentioned are best handled in the Commonly Asked
Questions postings, but nobody really reads those.

I don't think splitting comp.os.minix along processor lines would be
beneficial.  I believe it would create a LOT of cross-posting which would
wreak havoc on the 400-odd mailing list subscribers (they'd get to read it N
times, where N is the number of groups a given message is cross-posted to).
YUK!

Besides, the volume of comp.os.minix these days is only about 2 dozen
articles a day, on the average.  That's not all that bad, really.  Judicious
use of 'kill' or kill files makes it quite manageable.
--
                Glen Overby     <overby@plains.nodak.edu>
        uunet!plains!overby (UUCP)  overby@plains (Bitnet)