[comp.os.minix] Help needed in elvis editor

behera@hoss.unl.edu (Siddharth Behera) (02/27/91)

	While using elvis editor in MINIX 1.5, suddenly the prompt appears
while the terminal is still in raw mode.  Hence unable to get any echo back on
the terminal.  I am able to logout by typeing "exit ^j" though nothing is
visible on the terminal.

	After this I can login again and work.  But the file which I was
working on is busy.  That is if I try to open the file by elvis I see a
message appearing on the terminal "file xxx is busy", where xxx is the file
I was editing.  I get around this by remaning the file to some temporary file
and then copying it back to the old filename.  The new copy of the file is the
old version of the file.  Any changes made is lost.  If I delete the temporary
file then whenever I create a new file I get the message "file yyy is busy",
where yyy is a new file.  Rebooting is not helping.

	Can someone help me on this? A lot of disk space is wasted now.

	I have a hp ES/12 286 PC AT.  It has a 40MB hard drive with one 3.5in
floppy drive.

Thanks.

Siddharth Behera
115, Ferguson Hall
University of Nebraska
Lincoln, NE -68588-0115.
email: behera@hoss.unl.edu

--
Ok.    Bye.

Siddharth  Behera

In article <1991Feb27.155309.28624@hoss.unl.edu> behera@hoss.unl.edu (Siddharth Behera) writes:
> 	After this I can login again and work.  But the file which I was
> working on is busy.  That is if I try to open the file by elvis I see a
> message appearing on the terminal "file xxx is busy", where xxx is the file
> I was editing. ...

Elvis creates a temp file in /tmp with the name based on the device and
inode number of the file. Any file with that device and inode number will
be "busy". This was a reasonable design choice for a single user system,
I guess, but the consequences should be better spelled out in the
documentation.

Remove the file in /tmp and the problem will go away.
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com

rdc30@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (LCDR Michael E. Dobson) (03/05/91)

In article <6UR9P_1@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <1991Feb27.155309.28624@hoss.unl.edu> behera@hoss.unl.edu (Siddharth Behera) writes:
>> 	After this I can login again and work.  But the file which I was
>> working on is busy.  That is if I try to open the file by elvis I see a
>> message appearing on the terminal "file xxx is busy", where xxx is the file
>> I was editing. ...
>
>Elvis creates a temp file in /tmp with the name based on the device and
>inode number of the file. Any file with that device and inode number will
>be "busy". This was a reasonable design choice for a single user system,
>I guess, but the consequences should be better spelled out in the
>documentation.
>
>Remove the file in /tmp and the problem will go away.

Or, if you don't want to lose your work in progress, use virecover to continue
editing the file where you left off when elvis crashed.
--
Mike Dobson, Sys Admin for      | Internet: rdc30@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil
nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil      | UUCP:   ...uunet!mimsy!nmrdc1!rdc30