[comp.os.minix] Problems with using /dev/hd3 as ram image

l1ngo@cudnvr.denver.colorado.edu (03/06/91)

Hello,

I recently bought Minix 1.5 from Waldensoft. Everything seems to work fine
with my Compudyne 286/16 with 2 Seagate IDE Hard drives (40 Meg, and 110
Meg) except I cannot get the ram image to load from HD3. I've tried just
about everything such as paritioning hd3 to 512K and then mkfs /dev/hd3 512,
and also parititioning hd3 to 5 Megs and mkfs /dev/hd3 512. The same thing
happens everytime I select ram image: hd3 from the start-up menu:
system panic--not enough memory (or something like that--the screen freaks
out and the computer resets quickly). I have 1 Meg of ram, so I am baffled.
I have also tried mkfs /dev/hd3 360 (and smaller) to no avail.  The manual
does not help much.

I've had to resort to using /dev/hd3 as my root device. I'd appreciate any
info offered.  Thanks,

Linh
lngo@copper.denver.colorado.edu
l1ngo@cudnvr.denver.colorado.edu

windy@andrej.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Andrew John Stuart Miller) (03/08/91)

l1ngo@cudnvr.denver.colorado.edu writes:

>Hello,

>I recently bought Minix 1.5 from Waldensoft. Everything seems to work fine
>with my Compudyne 286/16 with 2 Seagate IDE Hard drives (40 Meg, and 110
>Meg) except I cannot get the ram image to load from HD3. I've tried just
>about everything such as paritioning hd3 to 512K and then mkfs /dev/hd3 512,
>and also parititioning hd3 to 5 Megs and mkfs /dev/hd3 512. The same thing
>happens everytime I select ram image: hd3 from the start-up menu:
>system panic--not enough memory (or something like that--the screen freaks
>out and the computer resets quickly). I have 1 Meg of ram, so I am baffled.
>I have also tried mkfs /dev/hd3 360 (and smaller) to no avail.  The manual
>does not help much.

>I've had to resort to using /dev/hd3 as my root device. I'd appreciate any
>info offered.  Thanks,

>Linh
>lngo@copper.denver.colorado.edu
>l1ngo@cudnvr.denver.colorado.edu

HOW MUCH RAM DO YOU HAVE?
HOW MUCH RAM DOES YOUR KERNEL USE?

RAMDISK+KERNEL<=640K!

If in doubt read the manual, look at the sources.
email: windy@strange.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
snail: Ruetscherstr 165  D-5100 Aachen
voice: 0049 (0)241 894-355

CRAWFORD_B%PLU.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu (brian) (03/09/91)

We're using /dev/hd3 as a ram image for our machine here at PLU.  We're
running Minix on a 286 with 4 megs of memory.  We partitioned the hard drive
into three partitions: one for DOS, one for Minix, and one for the ram
image.  Finding a 290K ram disk (which is what we had from floppy before
this) to be too small, I mkfs'ed /dev/hd3 into a 1,000 block device and
copied all the stuff I wanted on the ram disk to it.  I then did mknod to
create all the devices in the /dev directory.  Now, when Minix boots, the
ram image is loaded (once Minix figures out the floppy in drive 0 is not
a root file system) from /dev/hd3 into extended memory.  It works great.

Have you tried this with your system?

brian crawford (CRAWFORD_B@PLU.BITNET)