[comp.os.minix] About 360K disk/1.2MB drive for Minix demo.

jlu@cs.umr.edu (Jui-lin Lu) (03/08/91)

Greeting *,

Some discussions around about the format of 360K disk and 1.2MB drive.
I have it run fine (at least up to now).

o Format a 360K disk as DD in 1.2MB drive
o Before rawwrite, acess the 1.2MB drive using any command. I used "dir a:".
  Note that if I didn't "dir" before rawwrite, I'll get complaints from
  rawwrite.
o rawwrite
o boot.

(BTW, I used "format a: /n:9 /t:40" to format my DD disk.)

I'm running DOS 3.3 with a 20MHz 386AT.  It's just provided for your
info.

--
***************************************---         student    		---*
* Obviousness is always the enemy of  *   \        Eric J. Lu          /   *

twong@civil.ubc.ca (Thomas Wong) (03/09/91)

In article <2341@umriscc.isc.umr.edu> jlu@cs.umr.edu (Jui-lin Lu) writes:
>Greeting *,
>
>Some discussions around about the format of 360K disk and 1.2MB drive.
>I have it run fine (at least up to now).
>
>o Format a 360K disk as DD in 1.2MB drive
>o Before rawwrite, acess the 1.2MB drive using any command. I used "dir a:".
>  Note that if I didn't "dir" before rawwrite, I'll get complaints from
>  rawwrite.
>o rawwrite
>o boot.
>
>(BTW, I used "format a: /n:9 /t:40" to format my DD disk.)
>
>I'm running DOS 3.3 with a 20MHz 386AT.  It's just provided for your
>info.

Well, I tried following the above step by step since I also have
a 20mhz 386, DOS 3.3, 1.2Mb drive A:. So I formated 360K on my
1.2Mb drive using "format a: /n:9 /t:40" (actually I've always
had a batch file with this command), dir a:, rawrite, boot,
got to the first menu, press "=", then cursor to next line and hang.
Next key reboots. Oh well. Funny thing is I don't get the same error
as other people with 1.2Mb (ie. filesystem panic error). Mind just
hangs then reboots after key press. I've used Norton to look at the
disk (in maintenace mode) and all seems well (compared to the
demo_dsk.ibm file). I've tried all sorts of ways of accessing the
disk (dir a:, chkdsk...etc) before rebooting. Even when I get a
grabage dir response with garbage files/dir, my reboots still crashes.
But I would bring my disk back to the XT with a true 360K drive
and it works in all cases on the XT. Oh well, I'm using AMI Bios
on my 386 and maybe Minix don't like that. Or maybe it's just 386s
since the 1.2Mb problems seems to only happen on 386s from the

Thomas.