[comp.os.minix] emacs not executable

cox@qucis.queensu.CA (Donald Cox) (03/09/91)

Hello! I've got a problem.  I recently upgraded from standard MINIX for the
PC version 1.5, straight from PH, to 386-MINIX. Thank you very much Bruce
Evans, even though you probably won't see this.  I used John Nall's tutorial.
It went like a charm.   Thank you very very much John!  Everything seems
to have gone well with the upgrade.  My problem is with emacs.  I got it
from plains (thank you very much Glen Overby for maintaining this treasure-
trove of taty treats).  I also got 16bcompress and it suffered a similar fate.

I have a Compaq Deskpro 386 with 2Meg memory, a 200MByte IDE drive, and no
complaints, so far.  I'll describe the situation with emacs.  I had binary set
when I ftped it from plains to the local system, and also set when I kermitted
it from the system to my machine.  The file uncompressed and untared fine.
ctags and etags run great.  When I try to run emacs I get one of two messages:
if I just type 'emacs' I get a response 'emacs not found'.  Other executables
are in the same directory and they are found.  If I use an absolute path like
'/usr/local/bin/emacs' I get the response 'emacs: cannnot execute'.  I've
tried chmoding it, chowning it, and chmeming it with no succes.  I've got
about 700 Kbytes memory free.  In my experimenting I've come to the conclusion
that someone is not looking at emacs as executable, contrary to what I am
trying to tell it.  I get a similar responses if I chmod -x one of the working
programs.  I ran the like program described in John's tutorial, and it says it
is 386able.  As I've said, I had similar problems with 16bcompress?  Any ideas?
Any suggestions?  Oh I dearly love my emacs and would like to get it on my
home machine.  Besides, it is a good excuse for more memory :-)

cox@qucis.queensu.CA (Donald Cox) (03/10/91)

Well, I've tracked down my problem somewhat, but not being that familiar with
Minix I'm not sure what to do about it.  It retrospect this seems like a
simple problem, the solution t which is probably in the FAQs, if I had a copy.
The problem, I have discovered after some experimentation is that if the
executable text + stack + malloc > 400000 bytes the systems refuses to
recognize it as executable.  If someone has faced this problem and solved it
I'd appreciate it if you drop me an email note.  Thanks a lot.  In my previous
posting I forgot to mention that I've got virtual consoles installed also.

Thanks in advance,
Donald Cox
cox@qucis.queensu.ca

paradis@acestes.UUCP (Jim Paradis) (03/12/91)

In article <1108@qusunb.queensu.CA> cox@qucis.queensu.CA (Donald Cox) writes:

>The problem, I have discovered after some experimentation is that if the
>executable text + stack + malloc > 400000 bytes the systems refuses to
>recognize it as executable....

Hmmm... I think the problem may simply be that you're short on memory...
especially if you've got a login or shell running on each of your virtual
windows.  Think about it: MINIX is 100-odd Kbytes, the buffer cache is
300-odd kbytes (with the default NR_BUFS for INTEL_32BITS), each login
is about 70Kbytes, update is another 65Kbytes, your shell is prob'ly
64K or so...

A kilobyte here and a kilobyte there, and soon you're talking real memory 8-)

Under MINIX-386, the only limit on process size is the amount of free
contiguous physical memory available in the machine when the process
is started up.  I have 4Mb on my machine, and I can run 2Mb processes
no problem (I had to chmem "pathalias" to 2Mb in order to get it to
successfully crunch the full UUCP map).

--
Jim Paradis                  UUCP:  harvard!m2c!jjmhome!acestes!paradis
9 Carlstad St.               AT&T:  (508) 792-3810