[comp.os.minix] Re^2:

jem@hpisod2.HP.COM (Jim McCauley) (03/29/90)

In a recent posting to comp.os.minix, utility@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca
(Ronald BODKIN) writes:

Sounds like Amoeba is quite close to QNX.  QNX also has the virtual machine,
the same kernal design, the same high-speed features.  And QNX has years
of a good track record.
	Ron
----------

My response:

I agree that QNX is a great operating system, but:

      * it's not portable outside the Intel realm (at least to my knowledge)

      * one must explicitly declare the direction of input and output
	across computer "boundaries" by means of numerical naming
	conventions for other platforms.

	It may be necessary to do this in Amoeba as well, but Tanenbaum's
	description hints at a more transparent scheme for accessing
	shared resources.

                             USO
Jim McCauley                 USO         GSY/USO/HP-UX Learning Products
                             USO
  Learning Products Engineer USO
  General Systems Division   USO
  Hewlett Packard Company    USO   XXX   USOUSOUSO       XXX   XXX   XXX   XXX
  19447 Pruneridge Avenue    USO   XXX   USOUSOUSO       XXX   XXX   XXX   XXX
  Mail Stop 48SO             USO   XXX   USO   USO       XXX   XXX    XXX XXX
  Cupertino CA  95014        USOUSOUSO   USOUSOUSO  XXX  XXX   XXX     XXXXX
                             USOUSOUSO   USOUSOUSO  XXX  XXX   XXX     XXXXX
  (408) 447-4993             XXX   XXX   USO             XXX   XXX    XXX XXX
                             XXX   XXX   USO             XXXXXXXXX   XXX   XXX
  jem@hpulpcu3.hp.com        XXX   XXX   USO              XXXXXXX    XXX   XXX

pclark@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Peter Clark) (03/13/91)

>These papers are now available for anonymous ftp from ftp.diku.dk
>[129.142.96.1] in /pub/misc/amoeba-doc.tar.Z

They'll also be on math.macalstr.edu within 1/2 hour. If Minnesota is closer
to you than Denmark, try that site first. The people on the other side of the
pond will thank you.

	Pete Clark