[comp.os.minix] Amiga Minix Almost works on my A3000!

eb15+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edward D. Berger) (03/12/91)

I just received my Amiga Minix package today, so I took the diskette I made
from the update in /pub/raymond on ftp.cs.vu.nl, and tried booting up on my
A3000. (AmigaOS disk installed with 1 line s:startup-sequence)

I get the insert root diskette message, and do so.
It echos back Memory 2004k minix 166k ram disk 160k avail 1678k
   ram disk loaded /dev/dd0 mounted, and asks for the date...

I enter the date, and get a Welcome to Minix message and
Login:

It locked up here, so I try again this time with the write protect on.

I can now log in as "ast" and ls the files. Wow!

Console messages keep showing up like:
  A590: INST=00 CNTR=78 XT=FFE0

but I could still look around.  Of course I did get some write protect messages.
Well that is as far as I went, I don't want to do much more until I can backup
the distribution diskettes.  I'll probably go home and try it out on my A5000
and A590.

I'm just surprised it ran at all on my A3000.

Thanks to you guys who are working on the Amiga Port.
When will the diffs be available for the hardrive & 680x0 support?

-Ed Berger
eb15@andrew.cmu.edu

eb15+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edward D. Berger) (03/12/91)

Oops, how did that A5000 typo get there, should be A500.  Sigh.

Oh, before you ask: A3000/16-50
                    2M chip ram, 2M fast ram
                    1 floppy drive
                    A2065 ethernet card.

-Ed Berger
eb15@andrew.cmu.edu

sreiz@cs.vu.nl (Steven Reiz) (03/13/91)

eb15+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edward D. Berger) writes:

>I just received my Amiga Minix package today, so I took the diskette I made
>from the update in /pub/raymond on ftp.cs.vu.nl, and tried booting up on my
>A3000. (AmigaOS disk installed with 1 line s:startup-sequence)
>It locked up here, so I try again this time with the write protect on.
>I can now log in as "ast" and ls the files. Wow!

Great! This is our first version with support for all Motorola processors,
and it seems to work pretty well. We've tested it with the 68000 and 68010,
and after your posting i'm pretty sure that it will work with the 68020
and 68030 processors as well. I'm not sure about the cause of the lockups,
it could be a timing problem with the faster processor, it should not
(directly) have anything to do with the protectedness of th floppies.

>Console messages keep showing up like:
>  A590: INST=00 CNTR=78 XT=FFE0

That's debugging output (it's a beta test version).

>When will the diffs be available for the hardrive & 680x0 support?

As soon as we have produced a final version, we will include  source (diffs).
One of the things that obviously didn't work on your a3000 is the harddisk
driver (I read the mail that you sent to Raymond Michiels). He just made
a new version which shouuld work better, could you please ftp it again, from the
same place (ftp.cs.vu.nl, diretory /pub/raymond), and give it a try?

Regards,

	Steven Reiz

PS: Thanks to the guys at M.I.T. for the use of one of their terminals,
even if some of the keys don't seem to work as they should...