[comp.os.minix] shoelace problem

nall@sun8.scri.fsu.edu (John Nall) (10/20/90)

I am attempting to get Shoelace up and running, and am having a slight
problem.  Perhaps someone can give me a suggestion as to what I am doing
wrong.

This is Shoelace with standard Minix 1.5.10 (the ultimate goal is to use
it with Bruce's Minix-386, but I figured that I had better get it working
with standard Minix first).

Everything compiles ok, and I have a bootable floppy disk.  On the floppy,
I have /shoelace, /etc/config, and the other necessary files.  I also have
/etc/kernel, /etc/fs, /etc/mm and /etc/init, as well as a copy of the Minix
kernel image (which is called /etc/minix as per the config file).  The
kernel image was made the usual way in /usr/src/tools, and the individual
files of kernel, fs, mm and init were used (along with the other stuff) to
make the image, using build.

Therefore, to summarize, I have kernel, fs, mm and init on the floppy and
also the kernel image made from them.

When I boot the floppy, Shoelace comes up, and after doing its initialization
thing, complains that "Text+Data+Symbols does not match file length" for
the kernel file.  It then proceeds to load image file (and everything runs
fine).

However, what I REALLY want it to do is to load from the kernel, mm, fs and
init files, rather than from the image file.  I presume the fact that it does
not is tied to the complaining message.  But of course kernel is ok, since
it is used to make the image, which works like it is supposed to do.

I know I'm overlooking something simple, but don't see it.  Help!

John Nall
nall@sun8.scri.fsu.edu
--
John W. Nall		| Supercomputation Computations Research Institute
nall@sun8.scri.fsu.edu  | Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306

evans@syd.dit.CSIRO.AU (Bruce.Evans) (10/25/90)

In article <1231@sun13.scri.fsu.edu> nall@sun8.scri.fsu.edu (John Nall) writes:
>When I boot the floppy, Shoelace comes up, and after doing its initialization
>thing, complains that "Text+Data+Symbols does not match file length" for
>the kernel file.  It then proceeds to load image file (and everything runs

Shoelace has a fussy check that the file headers are reasonable. Something
is wrong with the kernel file. A truncated file might only be missing a few
symbols and this would not be noticed by build.
--
Bruce Evans		evans@syd.dit.csiro.au

philip@cs.vu.nl (=Philip Homburg) (10/25/90)

In article <1990Oct24.184312.867@syd.dit.CSIRO.AU> evans@syd.dit.CSIRO.AU
(Bruce.Evans) writes:
>In article <1231@sun13.scri.fsu.edu> nall@sun8.scri.fsu.edu (John Nall) writes:
>>[...] Shoelace complains that "Text+Data+Symbols does not match file length"
>A truncated file might only be missing a few symbols and this would not be
>noticed by build.

I also had this problem. Shoelace not only complains when the image is too small
but also when the image is too big. I wanted to use a "Minix with Amoeba" image
but the best version I could get was an image on floppy. So I copied 200K of the
floppy to my HD, patched [shoe.c, 620] to not doing that longjmp and everything
works fine (I also add an extra diagnostic about not longjumping but that's not
important).

							Philip

KHATUKA%ROSEVC.Rose-Hulman.Edu@uicvm.uic.edu (Aditya Khatuka) (03/14/91)

Hi,
        I was trying to build Bruces 386 and Shoelace using John Nall's
tutorial. Everything went smoothly until I came to shoelace part. Here when the
makefile executes the following command,
        cc -c Di8088 -F -T shoe.c
I am getting the error
"shoe.c" line 47: fatal error - cannot find include file "varargs.h"
make: error code 256.
         The file varargs.h is there in the directory /usr/oz/shoelace (working
directory).
    Where does the compiler looks for the include files??

Second question:
        Some weeks back there were quite a few benchmark results posted on the
net on Minix-386. Can someone please point to me where I can get this postings
and how/what benchmark can I run on Minix386 when I can get it working.

    All help appreciated and thanks for it in advance.

aditya

khatuka@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu