[comp.os.minix] MINIX ST: Hard disk info needed...

kentd@FtCollins.NCR.com (Kent.Dalton) (03/06/91)

If anyone has any info on this stuff, please respond via Email or by
posting... I really need all the info I can get.

Well, I finally upgraded my HD so that I could get some
space for Minix.  So now my MegaFile 30 is a MegaFile 120 :^)

Unfortunately I'm confused how to make TOS and Minix work together,
here's my setup:

2.5Mb ST
Minix ST 1.1
Minix 1.1 -> 1.5.10  upgrade kit on floppies.
120Mb Megafile HD with divided into 8 15Mb partitions.

The thing that's confusing me is that it appears the /dev/hd* HD drivers
seem to assume an HD with a total of four partitions... Is it safe to
use, say, /dev/hd4 to drive partition F (4th out of 8) as a Minix FS
with my current setup? I don't want to destroy my TOS partitions when
setting up my Minix HD...

Ideally, I'd like to make the 7th and 8th partitions Minix FS's... The
section in the manual on HD drivers doesn't give me any idea if
modifying the current HD drivers to support higher partition numbers is
an approachable task.

If it turns out I can't use the current HD driver, I'm kind of in a
catch 22- I want(need?) Minix installed on my HD before I do any
serious development/upgrades but I need to hack the HD device driver
before I can get it installed...

Any help on this would be appreciated greatly... I'm excited about
getting serious with Minix!
/* Kent Dalton                     * EMail: Kent.Dalton@FtCollins.NCR.COM */
/* NCR Microelectronics            *   CIS: 72320,3306                    */
/* 2001 Danfield Ct. MS470A        *                                      */
/* Fort Collins, Colorado 80525    * (303) 223-5100 X-319                 */
Fortune:
A physicist is an atom's way of knowing about atoms.
		-- George Wald

eesrajm@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Andrew J Michael) (03/15/91)

In article <KENTD.91Mar6104059@zappa.FtCollins.NCR.com>, kentd@FtCollins.NCR.com (Kent.Dalton) writes:

> Unfortunately I'm confused how to make TOS and Minix work together,

(Stuff deleted)

> The thing that's confusing me is that it appears the /dev/hd* HD drivers
> seem to assume an HD with a total of four partitions... Is it safe to
> use, say, /dev/hd4 to drive partition F (4th out of 8) as a Minix FS
> with my current setup? I don't want to destroy my TOS partitions when
> setting up my Minix HD...
>
> Ideally, I'd like to make the 7th and 8th partitions Minix FS's... The
> section in the manual on HD drivers doesn't give me any idea if
> modifying the current HD drivers to support higher partition numbers is
> an approachable task.

I take it from this that you are currently running MINIX-ST 1.1 and havn't
actually done the upgrade to 1.5 yet.  If so, then you need to get the
upgrade done first before you can talk to more than 4 partitions.  You also
don't say which partitioning method you are using; MINIX-ST 1.5.10.3 (phew !)
can support both Supra and HDX partitioning.  If you have the original 1.5.10
then I think it can only support the Supra extended partitioning, if I
remember correctly.

You can quite happily use hd[1-4] with MINIX-ST 1.1 and then change later once
you have upgraded.

Andy Michael

--
Andy Michael                                     "You might think that.  I
85 Hawthorne Crescent                             couldn't possibly comment."