[comp.os.minix] 3.5 drives and MINIX 386

danson@udel.edu (Douglas Anson) (03/14/91)

Hello!

I am running minix 386 on a 33 Mhz 386 would like to know if anyone has
successfully built such a system where only 3.5 in drives are present
on the machine.  Right now, I have a 5.25(A) and 3.5(B) drives but will be
losing the 5.25 shortly.  I plan on making the 3.5 drive drive A.  Is this
possible?  I tied this but my /dev/ files didn't seem to be correct for the
single 3.5 drive configuration.  Would I mknod /dev/at0 b 2 8 1440 for the
drive or would I use the same minor number as was used with the 2 drive
system?  (which BTW works wonderful --- thanks to all who make 386 minix
possible).

cheers!
doug anson
danson@udel.edu
Univ. of Delaware

eesrajm@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Andrew J Michael) (03/15/91)

In article <47487@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, danson@udel.edu (Douglas Anson) writes:
> Hello!
>
> I am running minix 386 on a 33 Mhz 386 would like to know if anyone has
> successfully built such a system where only 3.5 in drives are present
> on the machine.  Right now, I have a 5.25(A) and 3.5(B) drives but will be
> losing the 5.25 shortly.  I plan on making the 3.5 drive drive A.  Is this
> possible?  I tied this but my /dev/ files didn't seem to be correct for the
> single 3.5 drive configuration.  Would I mknod /dev/at0 b 2 8 1440 for the
> drive or would I use the same minor number as was used with the 2 drive
> system?  (which BTW works wonderful --- thanks to all who make 386 minix
> possible).

I must admit that I didn't even bother to think about this when I put
MINIX-386 up on my machine, which has two 3.5" floppies.  Don't worry about
the /dev/files at all unless you want to use 1.44Mb floppies, in which case
you will need to see what the 1.5 manual says about /dev/ps0 and /dev/PS0.
Otherwise you will only be able to use 1.2Mb worth of the 1.44Mb drive.
Apart from that, it isn't a problem.

Regards
Andy Michael

--
Andy Michael                                     "You might think that.  I
85 Hawthorne Crescent                             couldn't possibly comment."