[comp.os.minix] AMOEBA, etc.

acm118@flora (Michael A. Irons) (03/16/91)

	To help clear up the mess I seem to have made with my mention of amoeba
I'll post this. Along with the 1.3 package came a set of files that when built
into the kernel, etc. gave one amoeba NETWORKING capabilities. Andy put out a
newer version for 1.5, but it dosn't seem to have made it into any of the upgrade
kits that I have seen (not on plains). Please look at your diskettes (1.3 - 1.5)
PH. It's on diskette #7 'libs & networking sources' from pcMinix-1.3PH. I did
the upgrade from 1.3PH to 1.5UP so I don't know about those disks. I'm waiting
until pcMinix-1.6PH to buy that as may next PH baseline (though I'd like to
start using it now).

	PS - Iv'e noticed alot of people asking 'where is this', and it's siting
 over on plains (has BOTH mail server AND FTP, so no excuses). Check the machine
134.129.111.64) before asking. It'll save you time, and
that's where you'll be told to go look anyway!

				mike.irons@lynx.northeastern.edu
				mike.irons%lynx@helios.northeastern.edu
					(this should work if above fails)

				acm118@dworkin.ccs.northeastern.edu
					(if all else fails)

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (03/17/91)

In article <47864@nigel.ee.udel.edu> acm118@flora (Michael A. Irons) writes:
>I'll post this. Along with the 1.3 package came a set of files that when built
>into the kernel, etc. gave one amoeba NETWORKING capabilities.
Good point.  The story is this.  Amoeba needed a networking capability and
I had a driver for the Amoeba protocol lying around, so I used it.  This
does not turn MINIX into Amoeba any more than an MS-DOS or VMS machine running
TCP/IP suddenly becomes UNIX.  Thus the only correspondence between MINIX
and Amoeba is that MINIX used an Amoeba-compatible network driver.  Whether
this will continue remains to be seen.  Perhaps, depending on various
developments.

>I'm waiting
>until pcMinix-1.6PH to buy that as may next PH baseline

I am now preparing 1.6.15, and will send cdiffs against 1.5 to the beta
list for testing within a week or so.  If you want to join, contact Glen
Overby.  1.6 will never be available from PH.  It is just a dump of what
I have running now, a step along the way to the next real version, 2.0,
which is a couple of years down the road before PH has it, assuming all
goes well.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)