[comp.os.minix] Question about readall

greg@suntan.viewlogic.com (Gregory Larkin) (03/15/91)

Hi all,

I am using readall(1) in 1.5 to check my disk for bad
blocks.  When I used to do this with the V1.3 readall,
it used to stop for a bit when it hit a bad block and
print a message like:

Unrecoverable disk error on device 3/6, block 12000

I would then record all of these block numbers and
feed them into badblocks(1).  No problem.

Now, it seems that the V1.5 readall just hangs on the
bad block and doesn't print any error.  Sometimes it
will stop for a few minutes, other times longer. It
doesn't print any diagnostic message, so I can't tell
what block it couldn't seek to.  That message comes
from the FS, anyway, so I'm not sure what the problem
is.

How can I rectify this situation permanently?  Should
the disk be low-level formatted and update the bad
track table?  This is getting to be more of a headache
and I'm worried that I'm going to trash the filesystem
again (for the 4th time!!)

That would be a bad thing!
(BTW, the disk is type 3, 32 meg, 6 heads, 17 secs/trk,
it is installed as the 2nd physical drive in the system;
it is all partitioned as /dev/hd6)

Thanks for any help with this,

--
Greg Larkin (ASIC Engineer)|"This is a fragile ball we are living on;
Viewlogic Systems, Inc.    |it's a miracle and we are destroying it.."

hp@vmars.tuwien.ac.at (Peter Holzer) (03/18/91)

greg@suntan.viewlogic.com (Gregory Larkin) writes:

>I am using readall(1) in 1.5 to check my disk for bad
>blocks.  When I used to do this with the V1.3 readall,
>it used to stop for a bit when it hit a bad block and
>print a message like:

>Unrecoverable disk error on device 3/6, block 12000

>Now, it seems that the V1.5 readall just hangs on the
>bad block and doesn't print any error.  Sometimes it
>will stop for a few minutes, other times longer. It
>doesn't print any diagnostic message, so I can't tell
>what block it couldn't seek to.  That message comes
>from the FS, anyway, so I'm not sure what the problem
>is.

I had/have the same problem. Most of the time everything works
as it should (wini resets controller a few times, reports error
to FS, which prints the `Unrecoverable disk error' and returns
an I/O error to readall), but every now and then the wini task
just hangs waiting for `hardware'. It seems that the controller
does sometimes not send an interrupt when it hits a bad block,
or that the interrupt gets lost somewhere in the kernel. Maybe a
timeout for disk operations should be added to the driver.

>(BTW, the disk is type 3, 32 meg, 6 heads, 17 secs/trk,
>it is installed as the 2nd physical drive in the system;
>it is all partitioned as /dev/hd6)

I have this problem only on the second hard disk, too. Maybe some
controller have problems with the second HD (I have an RLL
controller and 2 65MB-Drives)?

--
|    _  | Peter J. Holzer                       | Think of it   |
| |_|_) | Technical University Vienna           | as evolution  |