[comp.os.minix] Where can I get the best price on Minix?

kbs@fps.com (Kevin Siebenthal) (03/08/91)

I am trying to do a fact finding for a friend (not yet a news reader) who
is trying to find the Minix OS for his PC.  Wants to find the best possible
price.  Anyone have any suggestions.  Please email me (save net bandwidth)
unless you want to take the opportunity to plug your company, of course.
I am interested in any/all media prices.

Thanks in Advance.

Kevin Siebenthal
FPS Computing
9692 Via Excellencia
San Diego, California
92126
(619) 271-9940

v902155@si.hhs.nl (03/12/91)

You(or your friend) can try MINIX version 1.2. It's still public domain.
It is not as good as version 1.5, but it works. Available:(?) public domain
software companies.

Rein Velt

,------------------------------------------------------------------------------,
|                Rein Velt   ,---, ,---, ,  ,---,  UUCP:                       |
| Groot Hertoginnelaan 216   |     |___| |  |   |  v902155@hildebrand.si.hhs.nl|
|       2517 EX  The Hague   |     |     |  |   |  PHONE:                      |
|          The Netherlands   `     `---  `  `   `  +31 2987 1769               |
`------------------------------------------------------------------------------'

umbaugh@evax.arl.utexas.edu (David Umbaugh) (03/13/91)

RV> You(or your friend) can try MINIX version 1.2. It's still public domain.
RV> It is not as good as version 1.5, but it works. Available:(?) public domain
RV> software companies.

Nov version of MINIX is, or ever was, in the public domain.  If you
have version 1.2, look in the file /.../minix/h/const.h where "..." is
some partial path to the minix directory.  There you should find the
Prentice-Hall, Inc. copyright notice.
RV> Rein Velt

RV> ,------------------------------------------------------------------------------,
RV> |                Rein Velt   ,---, ,---, ,  ,---,  UUCP:                       |
[long signature removed.]
--
L. David (Dave) Umbaugh             <umbaugh@evax.utarl.edu>
Computer Science Engineering

st90_kpn@manwe.sunet.se (03/13/91)

Is MINIX 1.2 Public Domain? Anyone know where to FTP it?
/Kaare Pettersson, st90_kpn@manwe.sunet.se

edb41@dhmolde.no (Jan Baggerud Larsen) (03/13/91)

>You(or your friend) can try MINIX version 1.2. It's still public domain.
>It is not as good as version 1.5, but it works. Available:(?) public domain
>software companies.
>
>Rein Velt

Is version 1.2 also available via ftp?

Thanks in advance.

Jan "Just call me MINIX" Baggerud Larsen
edb41@dhmolde.no

l1ngo@cudnvr.denver.colorado.edu (03/14/91)

I bought Minix from Waldensoft for $129 (they had one in stock). The manager of
the local Software Etc. say he could order me one for the same price.
The nice thing about buying from either store is the great return policy. I
don't have to deal with long postal service delays, postage, etc.

Linh
l1ngo@cudnvr.denver.colorado
lngo@copper.denver.colorado.edu

wnp@iiasa.ac.at (Wolf PAUL ) (03/14/91)

In article <47293@nigel.ee.udel.edu> v902155@si.hhs.nl (Rein Velt) writes:
>You(or your friend) can try MINIX version 1.2. It's still public domain.
>It is not as good as version 1.5, but it works. Available:(?) public domain
>software companies.

That is not quite an accurate statement. No MINIX version ever was
"Public Domain" ; early versions had a provision for LIMITED COPYING,
i.e. in the context of a class project, or for a couple of friends. I
am not sure with which version this provision was removed.

Any version of MINIX being copied and sold through the usual
P.D/Shareware channels would definitely be a violation of Copyright,
and I have never seen MINIX advertised by such vendors.

--
W.N.Paul, Int. Institute f. Applied Systems Analysis, A-2361 Laxenburg--Austria
PHONE: +43-2236-71521-465            INTERNET: wnp%iiasa@relay.eu.net

eesrajm@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Andrew J Michael) (03/15/91)

In article <47293@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, v902155@si.hhs.nl writes:
> You(or your friend) can try MINIX version 1.2. It's still public domain.
> It is not as good as version 1.5, but it works. Available:(?) public domain
> software companies.
>

> Rein Velt

Am I hearing this correctly ?  Methinks someone is badly mistaken, and I don't
think that it's me.

Comments from Andy Tanenbaum invited :-)

Andy Michael

--
Andy Michael                                     "You might think that.  I
85 Hawthorne Crescent                             couldn't possibly comment."

waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org (Fred 'The Rebel' van Kempen) (03/21/91)

Rein,

You wrote:
> You(or your friend) can try MINIX version 1.2. It's still public domain.
> It is not as good as version 1.5, but it works. Available:(?) public domain
> software companies.

MINIX is _absolutely_not_ (repeat: NOT) Public Domain, or even ShareWare
software.  It is of the good old "Copyrighted" type....
The original copyright is (c) 1987 Prentice Hall, and the current (1990)
copyright is also (c) Prentice Hall.

Ergo: it is NOT available for FTP (as someone suggested), and no company is
      selling it as such (yeah, some of 'em try, but they all get sued :-).

Hope this helps to clear up the mess...

Fred.