[comp.os.minix] 386 MINIX and IDE hard drives..

danson@udel.edu (Douglas Anson) (03/15/91)

Hello!

Has anyone using 386 Minix encountered difficulty when using an IDE drive?
I found that mkfs won't produce a file system to completely use a partition.
(i.e. make a partition containing 'x' blocks but mkfs only allows a file
system to be installed of size 'y' blocks where 'y' << 'x'.   { '<<' meaning
much smaller than}).  BTW, my hard drive is an 120 meg IDE (14 heads...)
I am thinking that maybe at_wini.c does not have the correct configuration
of the drive.  Any help/comments would be greatly appreciated!

cheers!
Doug Anson
danson@udel.edu
Univ. of Del.

kodiak@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Big Bad Beastie Bear) (03/16/91)

danson@udel.edu (Douglas Anson) writes:

[ asks about using a 386(sx?) with ide ]

Along the same lines, I have been thinking of setting up a public
access minix machine.  Currently, I am looking at a setup with
a 286-12 and either 2 or 4 meg of ram, a 1.2meg floppy and a
40meg ide hard drive all for minix.

Any suggestions or comments?  Does minix work ok with ide controllers?
How many users does minix support?

thanks.

Bryan.

/* ==== Bryan Nehl ===== kodiak%kodiakpc.uucp@phobos.cis.ksu.edu ====+
[   Big Bad Beastie Bears             ][ kodiak@matt.ksu.ksu.edu     ]
[   kodiak@Kodiakpc.Manhattan.KS.US   ][ bdn@phobos.cis.ksu.edu      ]
+__________ ...!rutgers!ksuvax1!matt.ksu.ksu.edu!kodiak ___________ */

eesrajm@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Andrew J Michael) (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar15.193937.5681@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu>, kodiak@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Big Bad Beastie Bear) writes:
> danson@udel.edu (Douglas Anson) writes:
>
> [ asks about using a 386(sx?) with ide ]

(stuff deleted)
> Any suggestions or comments?  Does minix work ok with ide controllers?
> Bryan.

MINIX works fine with IDE drives - just use at_wini.c and you'll be OK.  I'm
running with a pair of Rodime 3259A 250Mb IDE drives using MINIX-386.

Andy Michael

--
Andy Michael                                     "You might think that.  I
85 Hawthorne Crescent                             couldn't possibly comment."

eesrajm@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Andrew J Michael) (03/22/91)

In article <47737@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, danson@udel.edu (Douglas Anson) writes:
> Hello!
>
> Has anyone using 386 Minix encountered difficulty when using an IDE drive?
> I found that mkfs won't produce a file system to completely use a partition.
> (i.e. make a partition containing 'x' blocks but mkfs only allows a file
> system to be installed of size 'y' blocks where 'y' << 'x'.   { '<<' meaning
> much smaller than}).  BTW, my hard drive is an 120 meg IDE (14 heads...)
> I am thinking that maybe at_wini.c does not have the correct configuration
> of the drive.  Any help/comments would be greatly appreciated!
>
> cheers!
> Doug Anson
> danson@udel.edu
> Univ. of Del.

I think this sounds like a problem with your CMOS ram set-up rather than a
problem with MINIX.  Although in that case I'd expect Messydos to complain
as well ...

I run a pair of Rodime 3259A 250Mb IDE drives with no problem at all under
MINIX-386.  Just make sure that the CMOS ram contains the "authorised" version
of your drive parameters, rather than the actual ones.  Then, like MSDOS, the
drive will translate the fake parameters to the real ones all by itself.

A re-iteration.  IDE drives are completely transparent to MINIX, just as they
are to MSDOS, in my experience.  In other words they will behave as though
they are a normal AT drive.

Andy Michael