[comp.os.minix] MINIX guys are good programmers

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (03/17/91)

For those of you who didn't hear the news, the ACM programming contest
(worldwide version) was won by Stanford.  Very close behind, in second
place, was the team from the Vrije Universiteit in Amsterdam, where I
am located.  The team consisted of 4 students who have graduated or will
soon graduate from here.  Two of them, Raymond Michiels and Steven Reiz
are the fellows who did the Amiga port of MINIX.  This exercise happened
when they were sophomores in one of my classes and were bored with the
programming exercies I assigned.  They wanted something harder, so I said:
"Port MINIX to something."  Little did I realize that they would take me
seriously.  A third member of the team is Philip Homburg, who is writing
a TCP/IP package for MINIX.  The fourth member is now a grad student in
Limburg, mostly famous for its Limburger cheese of folklore fame.

This team also won the European championship, before going on to the main
event.

Three cheers for them all!    001,  010,  011

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

jds@cs.umd.edu (James da Silva) (03/18/91)

In article <9338@star.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
>For those of you who didn't hear the news, the ACM programming contest
>(worldwide version) was won by Stanford.  Very close behind, in second
>place, was the team from the Vrije Universiteit in Amsterdam, where I
>am located.
>Three cheers for them all!    001,  010,  011

Hip, hip, hooray!  Congratulations!

I can verify the connection between Minix hacking and finishing 2nd in the
ACM programming contest.....  I was on the 2nd place U. of Maryland team
last year.  <twilight zone music>

I guess this means Adelaide or NoDak will place next year. :-)

Jaime
: domain: jds@cs.umd.edu				     James da Silva
: path:   uunet!mimsy!jds		    Systems Design & Analysis Group

jai@lab.ultra.nyu.edu (Benchiao Jai) (03/19/91)

In article <31603@mimsy.umd.edu> jds@cs.umd.edu (James da Silva) writes:
>>Three cheers for them all!    001,  010,  011
>I can verify the connection between Minix hacking and finishing 2nd in the
>ACM programming contest.....  I was on the 2nd place U. of Maryland team
>last year.  <twilight zone music>
>
>I guess this means Adelaide or NoDak will place next year. :-)
>
>Jaime

I agree.  NYUMINIX project has just started, so we end up in 12th.
Maybe 2 or 3 years later ..... <Theme from StarTrek: The Next Generation>

Benchiao Jai
jai@cs.nyu.edu

overby@plains.NoDak.edu (Glen Overby) (03/19/91)

In article <31603@mimsy.umd.edu> jds@cs.umd.edu (James da Silva) writes:
>In article <9338@star.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
>>Three cheers for them all!    001,  010,  011
>Hip, hip, hooray!  Congratulations!

I, too, extend my congratulations to the .vu.nl team!

>I guess this means Adelaide or NoDak will place next year. :-)

Jamie, are you trying to present a challenge? (see the "Summary" :-)

The closest I've come to winning an ACM programming contest was several
years ago when NDSU took their turn in running the north-central US region.
I was the person to write an example answer suite and correct output, then
they turned around and disqualified me from entering the contest!  I ended
up being the phone bank that year and the next (this is the largest region,
so it gets split up into a dozen remote sites where you go to write code and
phone in questions & current standings).

My other bad experience with the regional contest was as one of 4 members of
a hacker's team... we didn't find out the programs were to be written in
only Turbo Pascal until after it started (we had been told we could use Turbo
C).  NONE of us had used Pascal in a year.  Oops...

Our student chapter is having a programming contest in a few weeks.  I'm
either going to be a disorganizer (so I can have the pleasure of telling the
Faculty team "That Program Doesn't Work") or a member of the "We Don't Care
Team" (the one that's there for the free pizza, pop and entertainment of
watching the faculty team).

... but I digress from the comp.os.minix vs comp.os.minix.sources vs
comp.sources.minix argument.

Speaking of that argument, let's hear from some of you mailing list victoms
on how you'd like to see the list gateway set up?  I might be able to filter
cross-postings to only one of the groups, uuencode everything from the
sources group, and so-on.
--
		Glen Overby	<overby@plains.nodak.edu>
	uunet!plains!overby (UUCP)  overby@plains (Bitnet)

leisner.wbst139@xerox.com (03/19/91)

Hey, congratulations.

What is the ACM programming contest?

BTW -- I've hacked Minix and GNU.  I think GNU is great stuff!!  Minix is more
of a teaching tool (which it was intended to be).

Quality counts for a master craftsman...

marty
(Knowledge is useful in the Information Age)
(Software is mindstuff.  It is the hardest activity created by man)
ARPA:	leisner.wbst139@xerox.com
NS:  leisner:wbst139:xerox
UUCP:	hplabs!arisia!leisner

waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org (Fred 'The Rebel' van Kempen) (03/22/91)

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) wrote:
> place, was the team from the Vrije Universiteit in Amsterdam, where I
> am located.  The team consisted of 4 students who have graduated or will
> soon graduate from here.  Two of them, Raymond Michiels and Steven Reiz
> are the fellows who did the Amiga port of MINIX.  This exercise happened
> when they were sophomores in one of my classes and were bored with the
> programming exercies I assigned.  They wanted something harder, so I said:
> "Port MINIX to something."  Little did I realize that they would take me
> seriously.  A third member of the team is Philip Homburg, who is writing
> a TCP/IP package for MINIX.  The fourth member is now a grad student in
> Limburg, mostly famous for its Limburger cheese of folklore fame.

Since they are Dutch:

# stty language dutch

	Hee lui, hartelijk gefeliciteerd.  Ik neem aan dat de gouden
	handdruk reeds op jullie bankrekening is overgemaakt? :-)
	Wie is die Limburger eigenlijk?  Adrie?

# stty language insane

Yo, back again.
Anyway, in Holland I often hear that "the people from the VU Amsterdam
are very noteworthy programmers".  So, NDSU and Adelaide are warned! :-)

Fred.
--
MicroWalt Corporation, for MINIX Development	waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org
Tel (+31) 252 230 205, Hoefbladhof  27, 2215 DV  VOORHOUT, The Netherlands