[comp.os.minix] problem with tar or Minix kernel

bob@wyse.wyse.com (Bob McGowen x4312 dept208) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar21.183604.25451@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu writes:

---
>residing on my harddisk.  The tar command was humming along quite happily
>when I got a read error.   The block in which this error was a bad block
>on my hard drive.  It was allocated to the .BADxxxx files when I installed

I am assuming that the tar under minix works like UNIX, I am new to minix
and have no experience with its version of tar yet.  But I think this is
a valid assumption.  So, the question is, how did you invoke tar?

If you give it the name of a directory, it will recursively descend the
directory reading all files, including those beginning with a dot.  This
would include all the .BADxxxx names as well as .profile, .mailrc or
others.

If the above is true, the simplest way to get around the problem is to
make a subdirectory for bad block files under root (I do not know of the
top of my head where these are put by default) and run tar with a list
of directory names that do not include the one with the bad block files:

	tar cf /dev/XXX dirA dirB dirC ...

would be the basic command line format.

I hope this is useful.

Bob McGowan  (standard disclaimer, these are my own ...)
Product Support, Wyse Technology, San Jose, CA
..!uunet!wyse!bob
bob@wyse.com

HBO043%DJUKFA11.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Christoph van Wuellen) (03/22/91)

It is not surprising, but intentional, that .BADXXXX files contain
bad blocks.
You should move these files to a special directory which you do not
backup.

C.v.W.