[comp.os.minix] Why does my SCSI work ???

dingbat@diku.dk (Niels Skov Olsen) (03/17/91)

I just tried the 1.5 demodisk on my brand new 386 with a DTC3280A SCSI
controller and a ST1096N disk. Expecting failure I tried to make a file
system on an empty partition and SUCCEEDED! Now why is that? I was under
the impression (solely from reading this group) that a special SCSI driver
was needed. Is it not SCSI after all? Does anyone have any knowledge about
this? Will it also work when I buy the PH distribution?

Any hints ?

Niels
dingbat@freja.diku.dk

root@minixug.mugnet.org (MINIXUG-ONLINE System Manager) (03/23/91)

dingbat@diku.dk (Niels Skov Olsen) wrote:
> I just tried the 1.5 demodisk on my brand new 386 with a DTC3280A SCSI
> controller and a ST1096N disk. Expecting failure I tried to make a file
> system on an empty partition and SUCCEEDED! Now why is that? I was under
> the impression (solely from reading this group) that a special SCSI driver
> was needed. Is it not SCSI after all? Does anyone have any knowledge about
> this? Will it also work when I buy the PH distribution?

The DEMO disk distribution uses the BIOS-based winichester driver :-)
So, the demo is useless to find out whether it will run on your particular
"Foo Bar Corp Turbo Controller"...

Fred.