[comp.os.minix] Help ! mount:File table oveflow

mings@cs.uoregon.edu (Ming Yau So) (03/20/91)

Hi, I am a newcomer of MacMinix, and I've come across the following problem.
I like to ask could anybody please help me to solve it.

My problem is: when I try to mount a file system on /dev/fd0, I got the
error message "mount: File table overflow".  At the time I try to mount this
file system, I already have 5 other file systems mounted (/dev/hd[0-4]), so
I guess this may be the source of the problem, anyone can confirm this ?
BTW, I really want to know is there a way for me to mount the file system on
/dev/fd0 without unmounting any of the mounted file system ?  I want to do
this because all of the mounted file systems have things which I needed to
backup onto the one on the floppy disk.  I have read the book and manual
extensively, and I know the table involved is either the bitmap table, the
inode table, or the super-block table, but I can't figure out which one of
them really caused the problem, and how do I solve the problem.

Another question I want to ask is, can I put other file systems, besides
the root filse system, onto the ram disk ?  What I really want is to put
the file system for /tmp onto the ram disk.  The manual only tell you how
to create a ram disk with the root file system on it, but does not mention
how to create a ram disk with other file system on it, so I just wonder
could this be possible.

Thanks in advance for any help.

   Ming Yau So                        | Disclaimer needs to be repaired !!
   Internet: mings@cs.uoregon.edu     |      >>>SCUD>>>   (disclaimer)
   AOL: Ming So                       |------------------------------------

root@minixug.mugnet.org (MINIXUG-ONLINE System Manager) (03/23/91)

mings@cs.uoregon.edu (Ming Yau So) wrote:
> Hi, I am a newcomer of MacMinix, and I've come across the following problem.
> I like to ask could anybody please help me to solve it.
>
> My problem is: when I try to mount a file system on /dev/fd0, I got the
> error message "mount: File table overflow".  At the time I try to mount this
> file system, I already have 5 other file systems mounted (/dev/hd[0-4]), so
> I guess this may be the source of the problem, anyone can confirm this ?
> BTW, I really want to know is there a way for me to mount the file system on
> /dev/fd0 without unmounting any of the mounted file system ?  I want to do
> this because all of the mounted file systems have things which I needed to
> backup onto the one on the floppy disk.  I have read the book and manual
> extensively, and I know the table involved is either the bitmap table, the
> inode table, or the super-block table, but I can't figure out which one of
> them really caused the problem, and how do I solve the problem.

Increase NR_SUPERS in "fs/const.h" to 10, and there you go....

Fred.