[comp.os.minix] Problem with demo disk on Atari ST

wxh@lanl.gov (William Harvey) (03/21/91)

I just got the Atari minix demo disk.  When I try "mkfs /dev/hd8 16384"
I get:
No space on root device 1/0
Error: put_block couldn't write
Line 1 bewing processed when error detected.

If I try it again, there is a 10 sewcond pause, and then the same error.
However, a "ls -l" shows:
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root 16777216 Jan 1 00:07 hd8

When the system boots it has hd1 through hd5.  Trying mkfs on one of those
gives errors too.

Trying mount on hd8 gives:
mount: Block device required.

1I think the problem is number 1.
1.  Under GEM, I need a hard disk driver.  I have a Micropolis with several
16M partitions.  This is attached to an ICD Advantaghe Plus.  Is a compatabile
driver loaded under minix?  Can I load one with the demo disk?

2.  mkfs in the accompanying manual show a -o option for systems other than
floppies.  That doesn't work either.

Thanks for any help.
Billy Harvey	wxh@lanl.gov
^:w
..

scott@cmb00.larc.nasa.gov (Scott Yelich) (03/22/91)

>I just got the Atari minix demo disk.  When I try "mkfs /dev/hd8 16384"
>I get:
> No space on root device 1/0
> Error: put_block couldn't write
> Line 1 bewing processed when error detected.

>   1.  Under GEM, I need a hard disk driver.  I have a Micropolis with several
>   16M partitions.  This is attached to an ICD Advantaghe Plus.  Is a compatabile
>   driver loaded under minix?  Can I load one with the demo disk?

I don't know.  I was unfortunate enough to purchase minix 1.1 just
before 1.5 (whatever) came out.  Anyway, from my experiences with 1.1,
I stopped trying.  I got the same errors you got until I subtracted
numbers from the size.... like 16383, or 16300... I think I had to end
up doing 16100 to get it to work!  Then, after the partition was
formatted, fsck would pass, and when I would try to WRITE to the disk,
well, chugga-chugga clank-clank, I would get disk errors every 12
sectors or so.  I was uncompressing the 1.1 to 1.5 upgrade (thanx
hyc!) and the uncompress took over 2 hours on my ST!  That convinced
me to do all my uncompressing on a sparc and use a floppy to transfer
files to my hard drive and then copy them over with that minix utility
for reading tos partitions.

Anyway, what got me was the fact that:
1) The size was never exact (ie: 16384/16383 )
2) fsck would pass yet there would be errors (ever 12 sectors?)
3) minix apparently doesn't check/re-write on error (I didn't bother to look)
   so my 2 hour uncompress was invalidated after the first sector error.
4) I was unable to stop the uncompress short of rebooting...

If anyone knows anything about problems #1/#2 I would appreciate the
info, I really WOULD like to at least play with the 1.5.xxx stuff.
However, it does look like MiNT has minix beat by a long shot (IMHO)
and it's about time I start writing MiNT utilities...

Scott
ps:  anyone have tos 1.4 patches for STOS?  Anyone ever heard of such a thing?

--
Signature follows. [Skip now]

 Scott D. Yelich                         scott@[xanth.]cs.odu.edu [128.82.8.1]
 After he pushed me off the cliff, he asked me, as I fell, ``Why'd you jump?''
 Administrator of:    Game-Design requests to <game-design-request@cs.odu.edu>
 ODU/UNIX/BSD/X/C/ROOT/XANTH/CS/VSVN/

gert@targon.UUCP (Gert Kanis) (03/22/91)

In article <18630@lanl.gov> wxh@lanl.gov (William Harvey) writes:
>I just got the Atari minix demo disk.
>
>When the system boots it has hd1 through hd5.  Trying mkfs on one of those
>gives errors too.
>
>Trying mount on hd8 gives:
>mount: Block device required.
>
>Under GEM, I need a hard disk driver.  I have a Micropolis with several
>16M partitions.  This is attached to an ICD Advantaghe Plus.

Hmm, MINIX ST 1.1 didn't support the ICD host adapter (there were patches
posted though by Mathias Pfaller that worked for me).

In ST MINIX 1.5 I had NO problems using my harddisk (ICD clone adapter, Sea-
gate SCSI drive). The demo disk should be 1.5 .
But in the official 1.5 release there not yet support for extended partition
schemes i.e. more than four partitions per drive (like HDX 3.01, ICD, SUPRA).
Could that be your problem?
(This enhancement has been posted as a patch (you'll need the sources then).

This brings me to the last part of your questions.
>This is attached to an ICD Advantaghe Plus.  Is a compatible
>driver loaded under minix?  Can I load one with the demo disk?

Sorry, the harddisk support is compiled into the kernel. You can only
recompile the kernel if you have the sources not with the demo.

Hope this sheds some light on the subject.
| No quote here to     | Gert Kanis, AP SWZ                        |
| save net-bandwidth.  | Siemens Nixdorf Information systems       |
|----------------------| P.O.box 29,  4130 EA Vianen, Netherlands. |
| I do not represent   | E-mail: [smart-mailer!]gert@targon.uucp   |
| anyone elses opinion.|   or  [..uunet!]hp4nl.nluug.nl!targon!gert|

bk0y+@andrew.cmu.edu (Brian Christopher Kircher) (03/23/91)

wxh@lanl.gov (William Harvey) writes:

I just got the Atari minix demo disk.  When I try "mkfs /dev/hd8 16384"
I get:
No space on root device 1/0
Error: put_block couldn't write
Line 1 bewing processed when error detected.

If I try it again, there is a 10 sewcond pause, and then the same
error.
However, a "ls -l" shows:
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root 16777216 Jan 1 00:07 hd8

Well, there's your problem.  /dev/hd8 is just a file, not a special
file for the hard disk driver.  You need to do the following first:

	mknod /dev/hd8 b 3 8

(I think the major number is 3 - don't have Minix handy).  Then do
your fsck.  What you have done is to create a 16Meg file called
/dev/hd8 with a minix filesystem in it instead of creating a 16Meg
filesystem on a separate hard disk partition.

--Brian

david@doe.utoronto.ca (David Megginson) (03/23/91)

In <IbudMs_00V864YJHhE@andrew.cmu.edu>, Brian Christopher Kircher writes:
> wxh@lanl.gov (William Harvey) writes:
>
> I just got the Atari minix demo disk.  When I try "mkfs /dev/hd8 16384"
> I get:
> No space on root device 1/0
> Error: put_block couldn't write
> Line 1 bewing processed when error detected.

I don't even have a /dev/hd8 when I use my demo disk--it only goes up
to hd5, even though I have 7 partitions. Partition 6 (Atari drive H:)
is empty, and I wanted to use it to test whether Minix works with my
system. I have two physical drives, a Megafile 30 (C: and D:) and
an ICD FA*ST 85 Meg drive (E:, F:, G:, H: and I:). I was able to mkfs
D: on the Megafile 30, but I have had no luck at all formatting a
partition on the FA*ST drive.

/  David Megginson                      david@doe.utoronto.ca          /
/  Centre for Medieval Studies          meggin@vm.epas.utoronto.ca     /