[comp.os.minix] Color Minix

root@enigma1.UUCP (SysAdmin) (03/24/91)

	As good as Minix is, & the fact that it is able to use higher
graphics cards [i.e. VGA], I tire of looking at monocrome. Does anyone know
how to set the screen colors, or any graphics utils for  Minix? [i.e. even
GIF viewers for graphical works].

	I've mostly been working on customizing the OS, so there may even
be a sys util that handles it - I just haven't  noted any such  yet.

Thanks

	root@enigma1.uucp

wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) (03/24/91)

Gordan Irlams's Virtual Console Patches support colored text, but no
bitmapped graphics.

If you plan to spend any serious time in Minix, you simply MUST have
the Virtual Console Patches anyway.  You can have as many consoles as
you want, which is as close to job control as Minix will ever have.
(ie, you can log in to Minix more than once on separate terminals.  It's
invaluable when compiling, browsing, editing and using the modem at the
same time.)  It hardly takes up any extra memory, too.

--
"You ask me what I think about war and the death penalty. The latter question
is simpler. I am not for punishment at all, but only for the measures that

Wayne Hayes     INTERNET: wayne@csri.utoronto.ca        CompuServe: 72401,3525

mgallagh@uhasun.hartford.edu (Michael Gallagher) (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar23.232118.29912@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>, wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) writes:
> Gordan Irlams's Virtual Console Patches support colored text, but no
> bitmapped graphics.

Hmmm, sounds good - but where would one get  that  package - is it commercial?
Let's have the full info  guy !

	-mg