[comp.os.minix] init/inittab/getty/gettydefs from plains

paul@ukpoit.co.uk (Paul Wood) (03/18/91)

I have been using the init/inittab/getty/gettydefs package available on
archive-server@plains.nodak.edu for some time on my MacPlus.

[ My problems with this package MAY or MAY NOT be MacMinix specific, so can ]
[ people who have implemented this software on PCs, STs or whatever         ]
[ please continue to read this posting. This is a good example of why       ]
[ comp.os.minix should not be split up along cpu-type or machine-type lines.]

I have amended (minor bug fix) modem.c as follows:
    if (st >= argc) usage();    /* We need the TTY name as well! */
        ^^
        optind

My /etc/inittab is as follows:
    id:2:exec:/bin/sync
    rc:S123456:exec:/bin/sh:/etc/rc
    ud:123456:spawn:/etc/update:
    cr:123456:exec:/usr/bin/cron:
    t0:S123456:respawn:/etc/getty:/dev/tty0 -k WIND1
    t1:S123456:respawn:/etc/getty:/dev/tty1 -k WIND2
    t2:S123456:respawn:/etc/uugetty:/dev/tty2 -t MODEM
    sh:0:exec:/bin/sh:/etc/brc

My /etc/gettydefs is as follows:
    WIND1#SANE#SANE#Window 1 Login: #WIND1
    WIND2#SANE#SANE#Window 2 Login: #WIND2
    MODEM#SANE B2400#SANE B2400#Modem Login: #MODEM

The package is excellent. It allows me to be able to dial into my Mac (usually!
something is now wrong with my modem at the moment), however there are a number
of problems:

1)  The processes associated with /dev/tty0 (ie: sh, ps etc.) are NOT shown to
    be associated with t0 (or co) when a ps is executed, but those processes
    associated with /dev/tty1 ARE shown to be associated with t1.

2)  Command getlf does NOT work in the window /dev/tty0, but DOES work in the
    window /dev/tty1. (The tty command works fine in both windows).

3)  When I execute the following:
        while true
        do
                something ...
        done
                        in /dev/tty0 I cannot terminate it (ie: interrupt it),
but when I run it in the /dev/tty1 window I can terminate it quite easily.

I think all the above symptoms are related to one bug. Can anybody help? Is it
Mac specific? Are any MacMinix users out there using this package? Does telinit
exist yet (that would complete the init package nicely)?

paul@ukpoit.co.uk          Paul Wood, 31 Buttermere Drive, Dronfield Woodhouse,
                           ----------- Sheffield, England, S18 5PX. -----------
--
Paul Wood       | UUCP Mail:  paul@ukpoit.co.uk   | iT: The Information
iT (Unix Group) | Bang-Style: ...!ukc!ukpoit!paul |     Technology Business of

waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org (Fred 'The Rebel' van Kempen) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar18.133804.28724@ukpoit.co.uk>, paul@ukpoit.co.uk (Paul Wood) wrote:

> I have been using the init/inittab/getty/gettydefs package available on
> archive-server@plains.nodak.edu for some time on my MacPlus.
Is that the one I posed last week, or the old one?

> [ My problems with this package MAY or MAY NOT be MacMinix specific, so can ]
> [ people who have implemented this software on PCs, STs or whatever         ]
> [ please continue to read this posting. This is a good example of why       ]
> [ comp.os.minix should not be split up along cpu-type or machine-type lines.]
I agree completely...

> I have amended (minor bug fix) modem.c as follows:
>     if (st >= argc) usage();    /* We need the TTY name as well! */
>         ^^
>         optind
This is _definitely_ the old package...

> My /etc/inittab is as follows:
>     id:2:exec:/bin/sync
>     rc:S123456:exec:/bin/sh:/etc/rc
>     ud:123456:spawn:/etc/update:
>     cr:123456:exec:/usr/bin/cron:
>     t0:S123456:respawn:/etc/getty:/dev/tty0 -k WIND1
>     t1:S123456:respawn:/etc/getty:/dev/tty1 -k WIND2
>     t2:S123456:respawn:/etc/uugetty:/dev/tty2 -t MODEM
>     sh:0:exec:/bin/sh:/etc/brc
Correct.

> My /etc/gettydefs is as follows:
>     WIND1#SANE#SANE#Window 1 Login: #WIND1
>     WIND2#SANE#SANE#Window 2 Login: #WIND2
>     MODEM#SANE B2400#SANE B2400#Modem Login: #MODEM
Also correct, although I would add "-ECHO RAW" as well...

> of problems:
>
> 1)  The processes associated with /dev/tty0 (ie: sh, ps etc.) are NOT shown to
>     be associated with t0 (or co) when a ps is executed, but those processes
>     associated with /dev/tty1 ARE shown to be associated with t1.
Then INIT is the process group leader of that window.  This has to do with
the FS _assuming_ that INIT is in slot 2 (LOW_USER == 2), and that only
INIT's children can be procgroup leader... :-(

> 2)  Command getlf does NOT work in the window /dev/tty0, but DOES work in the
>     window /dev/tty1. (The tty command works fine in both windows).
See above.

> 3)  When I execute the following:
>         while true
>         do
>                 something ...
>         done
>                         in /dev/tty0 I cannot terminate it (ie: interrupt it),
> but when I run it in the /dev/tty1 window I can terminate it quite easily.
See above.

> I think all the above symptoms are related to one bug. Can anybody help? Is it
> Mac specific? Are any MacMinix users out there using this package? Does telinit
> exist yet (that would complete the init package nicely)?
See above, you were right.

I will gather the stuff on uwalt, and post it again.  That version _has_ a
telinit (ln /etc/init /etc/telinit :-), but it is harder to install, since
you have to fiddle with LOW_USER and such in FS and MM. :-(

Fred.
--
MicroWalt Corporation, for MINIX Development	waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org
Tel (+31) 252 230 205, Hoefbladhof  27, 2215 DV  VOORHOUT, The Netherlands

paul@ukpoit.co.uk (Paul Wood) (03/25/91)

In article <9103212032@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org> waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org (Fred 'The Rebel' van Kempen) writes:
>In article <1991Mar18.133804.28724@ukpoit.co.uk>, paul@ukpoit.co.uk (Paul Wood) wrote:
>>
>> I have been using the init/inittab/getty/gettydefs package available on
>> archive-server@plains.nodak.edu for some time on my MacPlus.
>Is that the one I posed last week, or the old one?
I can't find the latest one. I requested various index listings from plains
over the weekend, and I don't see anything new. Have you just reposted it as
Minix/mugnet.sources/7 (nice meaningful name :-) )? The date in the index for
that file is still 23 Nov 1990.

>> My /etc/gettydefs is as follows:
>>     WIND1#SANE#SANE#Window 1 Login: #WIND1
>>     WIND2#SANE#SANE#Window 2 Login: #WIND2
>>     MODEM#SANE B2400#SANE B2400#Modem Login: #MODEM
>Also correct, although I would add "-ECHO RAW" as well...
I assume you mean on the MODEM line only.

>I will gather the stuff on uwalt, and post it again.  That version _has_ a
>telinit (ln /etc/init /etc/telinit :-), but it is harder to install, since
>you have to fiddle with LOW_USER and such in FS and MM. :-(
Great! I really need Advanced Minix so that I can beta-test your wnews and uucp
(and try out your wmail and umail).

[ BTW: Fred, I have been having problems mailing you and plains. ]
[ Do you know why? Have other Minix people had the same problem? ]

paul@ukpoit.co.uk          Paul Wood, 31 Buttermere Drive, Dronfield Woodhouse,
                           ----------- Sheffield, England, S18 5PX. -----------
--
Paul Wood                  [ e-mail: paul@ukpoit.co.uk or ...!ukc!ukpoit!paul ]
                    [ address: iT, Barker Lane, Chesterfield, England S40 1DY ]